What's new

So what is the real impetus to upgrade to 4?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to say as an SP2 owner the CPU bump is quite significant in the i5 model...

H5nKRlQOGLDscy8kyia1FnglKAUhVs00lkGoEK2Jkpc
Layer a faster PCIe 3.0 SSD underneath that and it's looking like a solid upgrade not to mention likely an incremental RAM upgrade to 2133 MT/s LPDDR3 over the older 1600 MT/s LPDDR3.

polbit

Another point would be thermal throttling and noise level.

I spent a good deal of time at Best Buy today with SP4, and finally succumbed to the pre-order bug... Got the i5. I would love to get the i7, but $500 for iris and 8Gb extra is just crazy. if it also had 512Gb SSD, I would've been sold...

wynand32

I stopped by a Microsoft Store yesterday and checked out the SP4. They had one sitting next to an SP3, and I was struck by how much colors popped on the SP4 compared to the SP3. Contrast was also significantly improved, and color temp was much more pleasant (the SP3 looks way too cool by comparison). Microsoft has done something special with that screen--their work on colors and contrast is showing some real dividends.

It's not enough to compel me to upgrade, at least not in my current financial situation, but I admit to being unexpectedly tempted. I love my SP3, and it performs perfectly well for my needs, but man, the screen on the SP4 is something special.

ChrisPanzer

What I am seeing are no significant upgrades. It's almost akin to Apple's "S" devices. The SP4 is almost a Surface Pro 3S if you think about it. No next-gen technology. Just some slight improvements, not sure if it's worth an immediate upgrade.

With regards to the resolution, I am very surprised MS keeps increasing it and upping the pixel count on the nearly same dimension screen. The default res. setting, I feel most would agree, is already way too small to view comfortably. I have to set mine to 1440x900, and I have good eyesight. So, other than graphic design purposes, I don't see why they keep increasing it.

Most of you are saying no need to upgrade models from the sp3, except for cover and pen are worth while enhancements . How about if your getting in to the surface for the first time. I was thinking about either going with the sp3 i3 with sp4 cover. Or going with the sp4 m3 model. Money has influence on decision since I'm already getting up there in my budget. I really want to use this for 80% tablet media consumption use and 20% productivity with Ms office applications. Any suggestions?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So...
The screen is great,
The keyboard is great,
The pen is great,
The performance is great,
The feel is great,
The look is great,

Here's a zap from the cattle prod to give you the missing impetus to get one. :D
114.jpg

ScottyS

I agree with others like @ChrisPanzer , the changes to SP4 over SP3 are more evolutionary than revolutionary so unless you really need that bump up in processing power and have the money burning a hole in your pocket...
I'm with most in that I'll upgrade the Type Cover and maybe the Pen and wait for SP5.

johnj2803

Most of you are saying no need to upgrade models from the sp3, except for cover and pen are worth while enhancements . How about if your getting in to the surface for the first time. I was thinking about either going with the sp3 i3 with sp4 cover. Or going with the sp4 m3 model. Money has influence on decision since I'm already getting up there in my budget. I really want to use this for 80% tablet media consumption use and 20% productivity with Ms office applications. Any suggestions?

That sounds like a sound plan. But if you are on a budget, why not consider the surface 3 as well... I think that could still save you more $$$.

Really depends on what you want to do with the device. Sometimes the atom s3 vs the i3 sp3 is a wash. Except for the size and storage.

Mostly will be used as a tablet, but since my dying ipad 2 and dell laptop are needing replaced I figure this might work for both. I do struggle between screen sizes but if I upgraded the base model of the s3 to 4ram I would basically be at the same price at the sp3 base. I would then get a slightly bigger screen which be better for office programs and such. Comparing these models and the continual "for 200 more I get...." not sure if it's truly a big deal to pass on the sp4 or not. Do think having the newer model would keep some value longer. Tho not really looking to resale. I usually keep things till they become unusable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id steer you to the SP4 m3 vs SP3 i3. This is reported to be a fanless unit and should get the tops in Surface battery life. I expect performance will be better than the i3 and you get 64GB more storage.

True. And for $200 more (haha) I would get that 64g you referred to, which I'm sure I would have to buy another sd card on the i3 model as 64 will not last long.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
True. And for $200 more (haha) I would get that 64g you referred to, which I'm sure I would have to buy another sd card on the i3 model as 64 will not last long.
The SP4 m3 will have significantly better performance than the S3 in fact I'm considering dumping my S3 for the SP4 m3. You're getting all the other goodness of the SP4 as well for that 200. I'll mention the PCIe 3.0 SSD in the SP4, this is a significant performance booster in itself over the SP3 and just smokes the stodgy eMMC in the Surface 3. Lastly if you get a lesser model, whenever there's a lag or a whiring fan you'll wonder if you should have gotten the SP4. If you get the SP4 you know you got the best available at the time. That's a good place to start.