What's new

So Why Can't We Install Apps on SD Card?

bosamar

RT OS forbids it! I post a great link about RT OS a few weeks ago and it explains the C:\ drive microSD relationship.

ZachBui

you can already install apps on the sd card. It's a simple registry edit. I think there was a article on xda.

Last edited:

ZachBui

right, there are some possibilities of running into problems even when following the steps there.

Sin

And to the unknowing, could break things.

It would have been easier to just select the location of the application during install, just like what Adnroid does.
The worst part is installing applications to an SD Card was one of Windows Mobile's features that was dropped with the transition, if you can call it that, to Windows Phone. They know how to make this work.

ArnoldC

I remember in the distant past (XP days) that i used mounted volumes to move program files, which worked, until i installed Office and the bloody setup created a new Program Files! Boo! Ha ha ha.

TeknoBlast

I would leave the install apps where they are and just load up the additional SD card with personal media files. There's really no need to change where the apps are installed to.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I would leave the install apps where they are and just load up the additional SD card with personal media files. There's really no need to change where the apps are installed to.

This. Even Android no longer supports the apps on SD card idea. There are more cons than pros for the average user. Those that are more knowledgeable and still want the ability can do so with little effort.