What's new

SOLD OUT!

benjitek

More telling would be what 'sold-out' actually means in numbers, whether or not there was a limited initial supply.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
More telling would be what 'sold-out' actually means in numbers, whether or not there was a limited initial supply.
Sold out at a couple retailers... but not elsewhere... maybe they didn't order many. It don't mean much.

kristalsoldier

While I wish MS would provide sales numbers for the SP3 (all variants), it is unlikely to happen. This makes it difficult to judge how well they have sold. But the general buzz is very good about the device. So, I am not surprised that the SP3 is sold out in some places with the caveat - as others have mentioned above - that this could merely be a function of the number of units ordered by the retail outlets.

That said, I am currently traveling in Asia - South Asia to be specific and here there is no sign of the SP3. Earlier this evening I met a few people who saw my SP3 and were positively drooling. But I know and they know that MS has not released in their market. I think this is a mistake. Yes, the SP3 would probably be ridiculously expensive here, but then again the people who would buy it are not the types who would feel the cost - moreover, their companies would probably buy it for them. Small though the numbers may be, I think selling the SP3 with very good support can make the SP3 an aspirational device in such markets, which is one way to out-do Apple, whose products are also outrageously expensive here.

OP
iDatus

iDatus

as for the numbers we can all guess but think on this, front page web adverts on John Lewis, PC World who have both sent me emails (spam) both display Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Prominently.
You don't do that if you only pre-order a couple units and the adverts where 5 days before launch for pc-world and night before launch with John Lewis. Lot of effort for small number of units.

wynand32

All I can say is this: I don't know the significance of those particular retailers selling out. I do remember reading about the response in Australia also being excellent. However, if the SP3 were _not_ selling and retailers were complaining about poor demand, then THAT would certainly be big news.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
as for the numbers we can all guess but think on this, front page web adverts on John Lewis, PC World who have both sent me emails (spam) both display Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Prominently.
You don't do that if you only pre-order a couple units and the adverts where 5 days before launch for pc-world and night before launch with John Lewis. Lot of effort for small number of units.

And without figures, this is just more....speculation. We can speculate all we want, and get into as much detail as we want, but without the numbers, it means absolutely nothing at the end of the day.

You wouldn't think it would make any sense whatsoever for companies to do many things but they go right ahead and do them anyway.

Antitoon

On digitec.ch, a major online electronics store in Switzerland, all editions but the i5 4GB are sold out. Mind you that this is an important store, and they also organized an event a few days before release, with a Microsoft employee showing the SP3 at their Zurich store and letting people trying it out, with the possibility of pre-ordering.

I doubt that they only ordered a few pieces, so this either means that it is selling very well in Switzerland or that Microsoft is having supply issues. I hope for the first one.

EDIT: The i3 version will be back in stock in mid-September! :eek:

Last edited: