What's new

[Solved] Ads playing while listening to music on XBox

compnovo

I was listening to my music collection (stored on SD card) using the Music app to see if I would experience the audio stuttering problem I've been reading about on this forum, and I noticed for the first time that ads are playing occasionally. I'm not streaming music, just playing from my own collection. Is there any way to disable the ads, or another app I can use? I could live with the ads if I was streaming online music but like I said, this is out of my mp3 collection.
Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
This just sounds like an side-effect from xbox free, but it would be disappointing if there are adds when playing your collection. Can anyone else try to reproduce this behavior?
If you're not planning on subscribing to get xbox music-pass, i recommend you to download an alternative app (like multimedia 8).

OP
compnovo

compnovo

I think I may have found the source of the problem. I had my mp3s stored on the storage card rather than the My Music folder on the C drive, and it appears that Xbox views playbook from the card as streaming rather than local. I cut and pasted the library over to the C drive and am playing it now, and so far haven't had any ads pop up. I'll post back in a while with an update.
I'm glad I got the 64gb Surface, but I'm still disappointed I have to use local storage for my music files.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: [Solved] Ads playing while listening to music on XBox

You don't have to, just follow the instruction in our faq-section to add your sd card to the library.

OP
compnovo

compnovo

I followed the instructions for both my music and video folders on the SD card. Videos are playing flawlessly (thanks!) but when I launch music in the Music app only the first 30 seconds of each song plays. However, if I launch the song from Explorer is plays to the end. Any ideas?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: [Solved] Ads playing while listening to music on XBox

Music playing for just 30sec only did occur to, as I've tried to play music without any form of account or if I'm looking for music, which is buy-only. Did you set up any form of account for Xbox music? Depending on your country Xbox offers 6 month of free trial and add-supported streaming up to 10hrs a month. So maybe using the music app without any form of account is just a complete mess. Is there any form of sign, that it recognized your music as a local one? There have to be a sign (a note) next to the track. If you're just able to play 30sec it states preview when you tap the play button.
In this case, I would just switch to another app.

OP
compnovo

compnovo

Music playing for just 30sec only did occur to, as I've tried to play music without any form of account or if I'm looking for music, which is buy-only. Did you set up any form of account for Xbox music? Depending on your country Xbox offers 6 month of free trial and add-supported streaming up to 10hrs a month. So maybe using the music app without any form of account is just a complete mess. Is there any form of sign, that it recognized your music as a local one? There have to be a sign (a note) next to the track. If you're just able to play 30sec it states preview when you tap the play button.
In this case, I would just switch to another app.

I already had an account through Xbox linked to my Hotmail address (for a couple of my Steam games). That's probably the glitch. For now I'm going to keep the mp3s on the C drive and use the Music app until I find a better alternative.
I'll keep playing with it in the meantime, I hate to be thwarted. Thanks for all your help.

OP
compnovo

compnovo

I found a workaround. Multimedia 8 (in the app store) combined with the nice hack you pointed me to in the FAQs created an ideal solution. I don't have to sign in to anything, the app is free (and highly rated) and it plays both my music and video files. Sweet.

Thanks again.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
If you're not planning on subscribing to get xbox music-pass, i recommend you to download an alternative app (like multimedia 8).
I found a workaround. Multimedia 8 (in the app store) combined with the nice hack you pointed me to in the FAQs created an ideal solution. I don't have to sign in to anything, the app is free (and highly rated) and it plays both my music and video files. Sweet.
Thanks again.
No problem :D