What's new

(Solved)No 5.1 Surround Sound option

Kris

After a recent update, maybe not so recent since I just noticed I lost my surround sound.
I know this isn't just a Windows 10 question but I thought it couldn't hurt asking because maybe someone else might be having the same issue and discovered a fix.
Before I start let me say I had my computer set up for 5.1 before and it worked great.
I have my sound going through an Evga Nvidia 970 card, hdmi, to my Samsung TV and then optical out to my Vizio surround sound system. Windows has greyed out my option for surround sound and Nvidia Control panel just opens up Windows sound panel. I have tried the newest and a few old drivers and no change.
sound.PNG

I even tried going from optical out on my computer, on board realtek audio, to my Vizio surround sound system. If I go through the realtek or windows options I can choose 5.1 but after doings so I get no audio at all.

If I shouldn't ask here please just delete this thread, but I am hoping desperately that someone knows a fix for this.

OP
K

Kris

From doing research, more than I care to admit to, I have found out that Windows 10 does not support 5.1 surround sound from any optical audio device. Also my TV will not transfer the 5.1 from HDMI to optical out.

Russ

Windows 10 does not support 5.1 surround sound from any optical audio device.

Kris --

Not really. I am running Realtek 7.1 Surround Optical out to my Denon amp. It also has a 5.1 option.

Audio.png

I see that you have Realtek disabled. Have you tried it? I also have Nvidia option, but prefer Realtek.

Regards,
Russ

OP
K

Kris

Kris --

Not really. I am running Realtek 7.1 Surround Optical out to my Denon amp. It also has a 5.1 option.

View attachment 6927
I see that you have Realtek disabled. Have you tried it? I also have Nvidia option, but prefer Realtek.

Regards,
Russ
I have tried it and when every I switch to 5.1 I get no sound. You appear to have a totally different realtek audio manager than I do. That might be one of my issues, any chance you have a link to download that version?
Mine looks like this
sound.PNG

I keep reading on multiple forums that Windows 10 doesn't support anything above 2 channel sound through any device, optical or HDMI, but if you are getting 7.1 then they are wrong.

Russ

1. I have tried it and when every I switch to 5.1 I get no sound.
2. You appear to have a totally different realtek audio manager than I do. . . ., any chance you have a link to download that version?
3. I keep reading on multiple forums that Windows 10 doesn't support anything above 2 channel sound through any device, optical or HDMI, but if you are getting 7.1 then they are wrong.

Kris --

1. I can run either 7.1 or 5.1 and get sound on both.

2. I am running it on an Asus Z-87 Deluxe. Download link is: http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87DELUXE/HelpDesk_Download/
I got there through my registered product status.

3. That is obviously crap -- sounds like Apple forums. I have some other computers with Asus motherboards. I can experiment with them if it will help. What model motherboard are you running?

Regards,
Russ

OP
K

Kris

Have the Asus x99a, I have tried every version of the driver I have could possibly find and not one would let me use surround sound. I will try and download that audio manager but I am currently running a newer version of the driver. This is driving me nuts. I really appreciate the help.

Russ

must be my motherboard because it gives me the same, less functional, interface.
Hi, Kris --
There should be more options on that interface, e.g., Speaker configuration. Have you tried settings (the gear icon) or other choices on the dropdown for "Set Default Device."

This is what mine looks like on a P9X79 Deluxe, which is my shop computer:
Realtek3.png

That is with Driver #6.0.1.7535, which is later than the one on the Asus support site (which is, in itself, interesting). I have another P9X79 in Ladyfriend's office in the house. I will try it later on the 7.1 setting. I also have some other Asus boards, but all earlier than your X99A, so don't know if they would tell us anything interesting.

There is a solution lurking here somewhere.

Take care,
Russ

OP
K

Kris

Thank you I didn't even notice that little gear icon. The only way to get the speaks to show up is if I switch to AC97
sound.JPG

Then I get this screen
sound2.JPG
but when I press on the play icon to test the speakers I get no sound
sound3.JPG
I have been using this to test my speakers and see if I am actually getting surround sound. It gives me sound but when it goes to the left or right rear speaker I hear it in the front speakers and in the back speakers. Also at some points in the test I get no sound from the rear speakers when it highlights them but get it from the front and then at other times I get sound from the rear speakers when they are not highlighted.
Also if I select 5.1 on the optical setting I get no sound, the highest I can go is 2 channel 96000.
Thank you again for all of your help. I have had a friend advise I get a Sound Splitter and just use HDMI for sound but I don't even know if that would work. My Vizio surround system does not have an HDMI in, so I have to use optical.

OP
K

Kris

Issue is solved, I had a tech friend help me out and educate me. Netflix using silverlight, through a browser, does not support 5.1, had to download the sucky Windows Netflix app. Also tweaked my video players to not be set to auto and made them push 5.1. Also I guess optical will push 5.1 even when set to two channel if it detects the device can handle it. Thank you for all your help. Way better than the two weeks I have been emailing Asus, my faith in their tech support has gone way down after this. If a Mod could please mark this resolved I would be very thankful.