What's new

[Solved!] Pro will now not accept RDP calls.

Russ

I have been using RDP from my desktop, Win8-1, for setting up the Pro, just because it's more comfortable for me. Got a lot of stuff done, but now the Pro has decided not to accept the calls. I get a message that says "The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login." It's the same connection credential that I was using earlier and it worked. Strange.

The problem appears to be in the relationship between Win8-1 and the Pro, because I went to another computer and was able to RDP to the Pro. I can RDP to other computers from Win8-1.

It's not a firewall issue, because I turned off Firewall on both ends and that didn't help. The access credential I'm using on Win8-1 is shown as "allowed access" in RDP on the Pro.

Any suggestions, anybody.

Russ

p.s.: There may be something ominous here, because Win8-1 is mine and the Pro is hers, and has a distinctly feminine name. Nah; I won't go there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klownicle

I have been using RDP from my desktop, Win8-1, for setting up the Pro, just because it's more comfortable for me. Got a lot of stuff done, but now the Pro has decided not to accept the calls. I get a message that says "The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login." It's the same connection credential that I was using earlier and it worked. Strange.

The problem appears to be in the relationship between Win8-1 and the Pro, because I went to another computer and was able to RDP to the Pro. I can RDP to other computers from Win8-1.

It's not a firewall issue, because I turned off Firewall on both ends and that didn't help. The access credential I'm using on Win8-1 is shown as "allowed access" in RDP on the Pro.

Any suggestions, anybody.

Russ

p.s.: There may be something ominous here, because Win8-1 is mine and the Pro is hers, and has a distinctly feminine name. Nah; I won't go there.

Is the user granted remote access rights in compmgmt.msc Local Users and Groups?

OP
Russ

Russ

Is the user granted remote access rights in compmgmt.msc Local Users and Groups?

Klownicle --

If I understand it correctly, the answer is "Yes." The login user is listed in Remote Desktop Users under Groups and also under Users.

I downloaded some Windows updates along the way, but don't know that any of them changed this. The puzzle is that is was working this morning, but now now.

Thanks,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Russ, have you tried rebooting the Pro?

JP --

Yeah, I rebooted both machines a couple of times. Also tried creating a new user on the Pro and authorizing it in Users and Groups. No success.

It's a mystery.

Thanks,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

Microsoft Account or Local Account?

Jeff --

The question assumes an understanding that is outside my experiential envelope.

The normal login to the Pro is "name@emailaddress," which is a Microsoft account. That is what I was using this morning, and it was working. Then it stopped working.

On the Pro, I tried creating new users, both by Microsoft account ID (me and her) and by individual names. Nothing, so far, has worked.

I am beginning to feel like the Incompetent Faith Healer who laid his hands on a crippled man -- and made him blind.

Thanks,
Russ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are both machines trusted in your Microsoft Account? And I'm assuming you've logged into both with the Microsoft Account...

OP
Russ

Russ

Are both machines trusted in your Microsoft Account? And I'm assuming you've logged into both with the Microsoft Account...

Jeff --

There are two Microsoft accounts: mine and hers. Both machines are now "Trusted PCs" in both accounts. Still can't connect with RDP.

Thanks,
Russ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try clearing the check box for using Network Level Authentication under remote access control panel and see if it accepts the RDP connection.

R0bR

Russ, with your RDP woes you've been having I wish I was travelling to our Atlanta facility so that I could get some hands on to fix them for you. Are you at least getting asked for authentication? Or are you being denied access altogether?