What's new

[Solved] Skype does not work on my Surface RT

shatol

Hi All,

I’ve got myself Surface RT more than a week ago.
I installed Skype from the Appstore and it seemed to be installed without any problems. When I ran the Skype it asked me about my user ID, password and everything looked fine. Until I actually start the Skype. It opens the main window, starts gathering my contacts and then just closes without any error messages.
I un-installed and installed the Skype several times, I installed all Microsoft updates, and all updates for Office 2013 (just in case). Nothing helped – when I click on Skype icon it opens for couple of seconds and then just closes by itself.

I searched the solution or even mention of such problem online, but nothing came out. It looks like Skype is working for everybody but me.

Thanks for any ideas how to fix this problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

TeknoBlast

I tried it last week with some relatives in San Diego and it worked great. They said it looks and hears fine. I hate when there's issue and dont know why it's happening.

archapacman

I have no idea, but I can share similar experience. The PEOPLE app on my desktop and Surface RT opens and then closed on SYNCING.

I think it is a licensing issue.

Try the following:
1) Go to windows store
2) swipe from right, tap settings
3) Tap update apps
4) Sync license.

Did it work for the PEOPLE app? NO. But after yesterday's update, the PEOPLE app is working fine.

So my final suggestion, wait it out.

Br1an_g

Might seem a basic question but have you tried restarting your surface? I seem to be restarting every couple of days to resolve bugs like this.

OP
S

shatol

I restarted it several time because of Windows updates. Also I shutdown the surface couple of times.
It didn't help.

kuwaitmatt

Skype on Surface

when I first got the surface I downloaded Skype from the windows store and all was well, then for no logical reason at all, each time I answer a Skype call with video surface selects the back camera indicating that the front one is not available. I have checked all the settings in Skype and cant find an answer. I have also checked the camera functionality directly from the camera tile and it all works OK. Has anyone experienced this problem???

OP
S

shatol

The synchronization of license didn't help.
I checked the event log and found out the Skype crashes with error something like "App could not start in time".

leeshor

The synchronization of license didn't help.
I checked the event log and found out the Skype crashes with error something like "App could not start in time".

What else is loading that may have delayed the start?

OP
S

shatol

What else is loading that may have delayed the start?

I don't think anything else is loading. I un-installed all pre-installed Metro apps just to make sure they don't effect.
But it didn't help.

One solution I'm going to try is to change my Microsoft account to a local one:

Settings >> Change PC settings >> Users >> Switch to a local account.

OP
S

shatol

Ok, I solved the problem.
I used local account and the Skype didn't work.
Once I switched to Microsoft account the Skype started working.