What's new

[Solved] Surface won't turn on..

Lina

Sorry if this has already been covered, but my surface will not turn on as of the last few days. I don't use it daily, I hadn't used it for a few days and went to switch it on and nothing. I thought maybe the battery was dead so it needed a charge, after a few mins of charging I tried again. Nothing. I left it to charge all day and still it doesn't turn on.

I shut it down every night, start up fresh on the days I use it. I haven't even taken it out of the house to use on the go yet, so I have no idea what has caused this.

I guess I will probably have to return it back on warranty which is so annoying as I actually bought it so I could use on the go during fashion week next week, so returning it now means I will definitely not have it back in time for then.

Has anyone else encountered this and found a fix?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lina, are you sure it was charging? The plug has to be seated properly and the white light on the tip has to come on for it to be charging. It is possible to have the tip nearly in the slot but not making contact. Have you also tried another outlet to be sure a switch wasn't flipped or fuse blown on the outlet?

chatterbot

I had this same problem. I think the battery is just dead. Try charging it, making sure that the little charge indicator light is turned on.

gpstrucker

If you did have it charging correctly and it just won't power up it's possible it's defective. That can happen with any mass produced device. The Surface is a great device but lemons happen. If you're sure it charged and still won't power up return it for a new one and enjoy.

OP
L

Lina

WOW. So glad I wrote on here as I wasn't going to, figuring I'd have to send it back regardless. I did position the charger in correctly each time as I've charged it a few times before so was aware how it worked (had it before xmas), however I moved the charger to a different plug socket and immediately after plugging it in the surface sprung to action! Perhaps the one I usually charge it by, a four-way by my bed shared with two other charging devices for phones, etc, it wasn't getting enough juice or something. I have no idea. But yay it works now! Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

bosamar

BTY: You stated you've had this since before Christmas. Now you won't be able to take your hands off of it.

OP
L

Lina

Thank you! I'm sure I will. I just need to pick up a pink touch cover (I have the black but think I would love the pink) and then I'm set to show it off for fashion week (and hopefully get some work done as well, ha)!

Thanks again, guys.

Trovahead

I am having the same problem. I have tried charging (light comes on ok) for hours, but my Surface will not turn on at all!!
I really don't want to go through a return process because I use it everyday at work. Has anyone been successful in reviving a bricked Surface?

I suggest you contact MS as soon as possible. The longer you wait the longer you will be without it - either way. If there is no MS store near you, go through the surface.com website, register your device if you haven't done yet (have your SN ready) and go to Support, pick the right category and either chat or call MS. They will quickly determine whether it's a hardware problem and get you setup for a replacement. Took me 5minutes with mine. I sent mine out Friday and should get it back Wednesday (standard overnight FEDEX).
of course, it depends on where you live how fast this will go.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I am having the same problem. I have tried charging (light comes on ok) for hours, but my Surface will not turn on at all!!
I really don't want to go through a return process because I use it everyday at work. Has anyone been successful in reviving a bricked Surface?

Did you try holing the power button for 20 seconds to make sure it was off and then try to turn back on?