What's new

[Solved] What is the mini DisplayPort spec on the Pro?

Nuspieds

Hi,

I've been unable to get this important question answered...even after calling Microsoft and I can't find anything online.

I need to know if the mini DisplayPort is v1.1 or v1.2. Does anyone know and/or can point me to any documentation?

This is important to me because I am interested in an external monitor that has a DisplayPort 1.2 port and I want to take advantage of the daisy chaining feature provided the 1.2 specs.

Thanks!

mph

Hey Nuspieds,

i checked on that too, but was equally unsuccessful.

But here's a suggestion: Why don't you take a different approach to this?
For example: Besides MultiMonitor chains, is there a difference you could simply test?

If not, why don't you take a shot and ask at BestBuy if they could try to hook up 2 monitors with DP1.2 to he Surface. There should be a few monitors at BestBuy?

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Hey Nuspieds,

i checked on that too, but was equally unsuccessful.

But here's a suggestion: Why don't you take a different approach to this?
For example: Besides MultiMonitor chains, is there a difference you could simply test?

If not, why don't you take a shot and ask at BestBuy if they could try to hook up 2 monitors with DP1.2 to he Surface. There should be a few monitors at BestBuy?

I don't know where you're at, but I couldn't possibly envision the Best Buys around here going through that effort! :LOL: Sad, but true. Just yesterday I was there and was looking for a USB 3.0 cable and when I asked the associate, she didn't know and had to go consult with another. It's no wonder that after much research on the internet that I'm doing a lot of purchases via Amazon.

But your point is well-taken because I will not be investing in that monitor if I am not going to get out-of-the-box 1.2 support from the Surface Pro. I'm completely baffled as to why this isn't documented and cannot be answered by MS customer-facing representatives.

mph

I don't know where you're at, but I couldn't possibly envision the Best Buys around here going through that effort! :LOL:

im german so im neither accustomed to BestBuys nor to local Microsoft Stores. :)

I
But your point is well-taken because I will not be investing in that monitor if I am not going to get out-of-the-box 1.2 support from the Surface Pro. I'm completely baffled as to why this isn't documented and cannot be answered by MS customer-facing representatives.

Same here. If you can't get the info by testing it (i don't know if the alternative - MS Stores - have the opportunity equipmentwise) you could contact(twitter?) Panos Panay the Surface "creator" - he should at least know the answer. But it appears to me a questions of whether he replies to your request or not.

Anyway it speaks for itself that customers have to reach out to devs of MS to get the information they are looking for.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Anyway it speaks for itself that customers have to reach out to devs of MS to get the information they are looking for.

Yes, it does! I am totally perplexed as to why that information isn't published on the Technical Specs page.

Thanks for the additional info and if he responds, maybe I will finally get may answer.

ArnoldC

Display Port 1.2 was approved by VESA late 2009. It would be illogical for Microsoft not to adopt the 1.2 specification, but what do I know. :)

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Display Port 1.2 was approved by VESA late 2009. It would be illogical for Microsoft not to adopt the 1.2 specification, but what do I know. :)
Hmmm...since it is that old, then that gives me hope! 

But, seriously, you never know. The consequences for me are very significant; the monitor I will be purchasing has a pretty hefty price tag but I'd use another strategy altogether for v1.1.

Thanks, though, because although I am still searching for a confirmed answer, your info gives me hope that sticking with my strategy might be worth the risk if indo not get that answer.

machistmo

Anyone know? Is the Surface Pro equipped with a DisplayPort 1.1a or 1.2 port!?

No one at Surface Support can answer this question for me. I have not been able to find it online either. Anyone?:angry: