What's new

Some Apple reliability perspective.........not all rosey toeszies

Honestly not sure why anyone would buy an retina Mac book pro when you can have the older model with a 500 gig hard drive and an optical drive. I'm on my third one only because I sold the first one (hard times), the second one sat in a pool of beer all night (my fault) and the one I have now is super solid. Never had a problem with it. And they keep their value. Not a big fan of the retina MacBook pro line.

OP
V

vanhalo

Honestly not sure why anyone would buy an retina Mac book pro when you can have the older model with a 500 gig hard drive and an optical drive. I'm on my third one only because I sold the first one (hard times), the second one sat in a pool of beer all night (my fault) and the one I have now is super solid. Never had a problem with it. And they keep their value. Not a big fan of the retina MacBook pro line.

Apples to Apples Comparison...good to know though. I think going backwards on the screen resolution would be a bummer for me. Not totally opposed to it but once you have feasted on 4k its hard to to look at another woman.

What model do you have?

Last edited:
Late 2012 model but I just purchased it a few months ago. Would of took it back because I'm liking this SP3 but I past the 45 period. It's all good since apple products retain their value I can sell it off pretty easy.

Feoen

All technology has lemons. My first Transformer TF101 tablet went bad and I got it replaced. In fact, my very first laptop ever that I got when I was 12 years old as a birthday gift, an old Compaq that had the COOLEST feature of being able to use the CD player to play music while the computer was off, kept BSODing and being slow when I first got it. A quick exchange fixed it.

It would be one thing if Microsoft was actively denying these problems and not making exchanges, but it seems that the nearly universal customer service experience members of this forum have been having is that Microsoft is taking these units back with no questions asked. That is legitimate customer service.

scottysize

I just sold my Mid 2012 w/Retina Display MacBook Pro. I had to if I wanted to pay for the Surface 3. Now, having said that, the MacBook Pro is a much more advanced machine that is capable of doing far more than the SP3 and faster. My reason for trading them out was that I wasn't using those MacBook Pro features and wanted a smaller lighter and thinner device. So far I've been happy with the SP3, but understand, I cannot do all of the things I could have done with the MacBook Pro.

If you're still trying to decide, make pros and cons list on each device before purchasing. Both are great machines, but are made for two very different environments.

OP
V

vanhalo

I just sold my Mid 2012 w/Retina Display MacBook Pro. I had to if I wanted to pay for the Surface 3. Now, having said that, the MacBook Pro is a much more advanced machine that is capable of doing far more than the SP3 and faster. My reason for trading them out was that I wasn't using those MacBook Pro features and wanted a smaller lighter and thinner device. So far I've been happy with the SP3, but understand, I cannot do all of the things I could have done with the MacBook Pro.

If you're still trying to decide, make pros and cons list on each device before purchasing. Both are great machines, but are made for two very different environments.

I agree. My problem with the MAC (i have a Mac Mini aleady) is that I love the OS but I dont really have anything to do once I sit down in front of it except email and research. With the SP3 I have several tasks that I can accomplish....Remote Desktop Connection to Windows Server, Hyper-V for Windows Server, Powershell training...etc....

The email clients are trade offs as well....I like the format of the mail client on the MAC OS but then again its not Outlook which is friendly to mail managment.

On the other side a Mac Mini Server and a MacBook Pro would make an awesome setup for energy efficiency. I would have to give up my beloved Mdaemon Mail Server and 300 watts of server power. Not a bad thing by the way.

Still I cant complain about the SP3......I am just worried that I will discover something of a deal breaker past my time window to return it.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Late 2012 model but I just purchased it a few months ago. Would of took it back because I'm liking this SP3 but I past the 45 period. It's all good since apple products retain their value I can sell it off pretty easy.

Well, Steve Jobs created a cult and inflated all prices of their product adding the "cool factor". So that's one of the reasons why Apple Products retain value. During years Apple was bombarding everybody's mind with TV commercials where owning a Microsoft product was a symbol of highest stupidity. Today and to me, if you have chosen to buy a Surface Pro 3 you have shown a sign of being able to pass all that BS and distinguish the real value of these devices and the work and commitment from Microsoft.

Geneo

I have a MBpro/retina, and an iPad2. I just ordered a SP3 and will sell both macs.
Why?
Not because the apple products are 'bad', they actually work pretty good, but because I'm tired of having to deal with 2 OS's, some programs being on one, some on the other, neither can have the any of the other's programs on it, syncing stuff like mail and calendars between them is only 'good' (not great), still spotty wifi hookup with the MB (no problem with the iPad) even after 2 OS and 4 system updates, and finally I'm really tired of mac games coming out 1-2 years later than the PC (if at all).
Oh, and with virtually the same specs, the SP3 is a thousand dollars cheaper.
No computer is perfect or without problems.
But as dad always said, "You just do the best you can till the good lord comes and gets ya."

ipaq_101

I have always purchased ultrabooks, Dell XPS machines have been my go to product, they do have problems, like getting really warm, but they are work horses. I have a dell XPS m1530 from 2007 and a newer one, the 15z since 2011 and they both still work, without any problems. I have made the 15z my media machine and connect it to my tv. The m1530, I am going to toss because I don't need 4 laptops (wife has a macbook pro). Like Scotty, I was tired or carrying around a huge machine, so the SP3 is a perfect fit for me. I don't do any heavy gaming, editing, etc. The SP3 so far has met my day to day needs. That is the question people have to ask themselves, does this work for majority of the things I use a laptop for? The SP3 was meant to compete with the macbook air, not pros. The SP3 is the most powerful tablet in the market, what else can match the specs?

scottysize

I have a MBpro/retina, and an iPad2. I just ordered a SP3 and will sell both macs.
Why?
Not because the apple products are 'bad', they actually work pretty good, but because I'm tired of having to deal with 2 OS's...

Same thing for me. Although, work provided me with an iPad and so I still have an iPad, but I sold my iPad Air. I came out $500 ahead after selling the MacBook Pro and iPad Air 128GB and then buying the SP3, keyboard, 128GB microSD, and 1TB external HD.

Now having said that, I'm still not hip on OneNote and find myself falling back to the iPad Notepad for taking notes at work. Habit?

scottysize

I have always purchased ultrabooks, Dell XPS machines have been my go to product, they do have problems, like getting really warm, but they are work horses. I have a dell XPS m1530 from 2007 and a newer one, the 15z since 2011 and they both still work, without any problems. I have made the 15z my media machine and connect it to my tv. The m1530, I am going to toss because I don't need 4 laptops (wife has a macbook pro). Like Scotty, I was tired or carrying around a huge machine, so the SP3 is a perfect fit for me. I don't do any heavy gaming, editing, etc. The SP3 so far has met my day to day needs. That is the question people have to ask themselves, does this work for majority of the things I use a laptop for? The SP3 was meant to compete with the macbook air, not pros. The SP3 is the most powerful tablet in the market, what else can match the specs?

I just hope the SP3 lasts as long as my Apple products have. I went through more POS laptops than I can count before dropping the cash on the MacBook Pro. While it cost the same as 3 good laptops, it also lasted longer than 3 good laptops and sold for 60% of what I paid for it 2 years ago.