What's new

Some comments on Surface Pro 3

logger

You did not specify that. You said mark up, I can mark up. but no, not in blue or red. Now i know your requirements, i ceetainly agree that it should just be built in. Same pen dock thing as on MUI onenote..
You are quoting the wrong guy. I said nothing:( Redguard mentioned the poor inbuilt support for PDF markup. I was simply replying to your post where you asserted I can annotate pdfs on the native windows pdf reader without an issue.

But I totally agree, they should make the Same pen dock thing as on MUI onenote available everywhere, if the user wants it.

logger

Chrome is my main browser at the moment. The issue you mention with the on-screen keyboard shrinking the window is a Windows 8 issue and not specific to the SP3. Thus it is there with any laptop using the touch keyboard....

With regards to fuzziness on external monitors, this is again a Windows issue and not specific to the SP3, as this is due to the DPI management. The Technical Preview of Windows 10 has certainly improved the independent DPI management of multiple screens, though is still not ideal...

Thanks for the explanations and descriptions of how to address them (in you full reply above). They pretty much answer some questions I had WRT to using external monitors that I posted in another thread. I will wait and see how things improve for me when Window 10 shows up.

Several people defend OPs List by deflecting them as a windows issue, a Google Chrome issue or one you will see on many devices. Why? I don't see the cause or commonality of an issue as important. If it effects the solution - ie user experience on the SP3 - it is still an issue and something to consider if you are moving to the SP3 from something else.

Previously I had a 14" HP spectre Envy Ultrabook which played well with Chrome and scaled fine with an external monitors. I updated it to the SP3, which is smaller and slightly more portable. In moving to this new smaller footprint I find a greater need for external monitors when at home. It is my only PC and as we all know it is a Laptop replacement.

Unintended consequences of hooking up external monitors to the smaller device is scaling issues. Unintended consequences of moving to a device that supports touch is the Chrome browser cursor regularly goes AWOL. For me it is disingenuous to deflect these annoyances to their cause. All I care about is they annoy me, it will be nice when they are fixed and I will point them out to potential buyers, so they can decide if they give a damn :)

Telstar1948

But many of these things are Windows issues and not SP3 issues. This is my second SP3 and I've not had my cursor disappear using Chrome. If the SP3 were at fault I suspect nearly everyone's cursor would be AWOL, and you would certainly be hearing the majority of posters on these forums complaining about disappearing cursors using Chrome.

Unless you have a 4k external monitor to match the high resolution of the SP3 screen you'll have scaling issues - again, not an SP3 issue but rather a Windows issue. You said your HP Envy didn't have a scaling issue with your external monitor - most likely the HP display was quite similar in resolution to the external monitor so the scaling was quite similar and thus no issue. If you HP screen had twice the resolution of the your external monitor, you would have had scaling issues.

Whether you think so or not, going to the specific cause is hardly disingenuous; it's actually sorting the problem to see if it's a defect with the SP3 or one of Window's making.

logger

Whether you think so or not, going to the specific cause is hardly disingenuous; it's actually sorting the problem to see if it's a defect with the SP3 or one of Window's making.
I agree if you are interested in working out which Microsoft division is responsible for the problem or sorting out how to fix it. It is disingenuous to discount a list of usage criticisms on the a basis they are fault of someone else or are not unique to the specific device. Especially in the context of someone trying to make a pre purchase decision. OTOH OP did ask for Thoughts and he has go them in spades.

OP
O

ozstar

Many thanks for the your input guys.. I do appreciate it as not being flush with dollars, want to be sure I make the right choice.

I mainly use Firefox and Thunderbird, Open Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat 8, Skype, VLC Player, Nero 10, Malwarebytes, WriteItNow, Acronis True Image 11, Avast, HitMan Pro anti Virus, CorelDraw X5 Photo Impact X3, PhotoShop , Dreamweaver, UltraEdit, SyncbackPro, Adobe Audition Audio, etc..

Mainly using Win 7 and on one box still XP.

Hopefully I can still use the above with 8.1+ and 10.

oz

OP
O

ozstar

BTW it seems this does not have a HDMI port, correct ?

Can it support 3 ext drives etc on the one USB ?

Also what bout streaming to a TV, will it do it ?

Just spoke with JB HiFi and the 256GB has been reduced to $1598 but the KB is $179.

Anyone know of any better deals in Sydney ?

Thanks again

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems this does not have a HDMI port, correct ?
No it does not have an HDMI port but there are adapters for mini DP to HDMI.

Can it support 3 ext drives etc on the one USB ?
Unlikely as the USB port provides the minimum 900ma of power. Some drives require more that that by themselves. You would probably need a powered USB Hub to handle multiple drives. It might handle 3 USB sticks at once, I haven't tried that.

what bout streaming to a TV, will it do it ?
Yes BUT some TV's are not compatible. The SP3 will stream to most Miracast Adapters and TVs with compatible Miracast implementations.

Id recommend switching from Acronis to Macrium Reflect for best results.

logger

Just spoke with JB HiFi and the 256GB has been reduced to $1598 but the KB is $179.

Anyone know of any better deals in Sydney ?

I assume it is the i5 x 256GB you are after which is also what I have. Microsoft have it online for $1572 although I dunno if that includes shipping. Better still Hardley Normal have it for $1548 which is where and what I paid for mine. I bought a bit of other gear too, but only paid $147 for the keyboard.

I got the Incipio ORD sleeve to match the the keyboard colour (and GreyFox7's nails). It is looks great, but the Pen silo in its front zip up pocket is impossible to access without a mining licence and night vision goggles. In keeping with the thread, not an SP3 issue but rather a Ord fault ;)

lhauser

The worlds most popular web browser not working particularly well on the Surface Pro 3 is right up there with the color doesn't match my nails? That IS something I would be interested in knowing about pre purchase if I was a heavy user of Chrome.

If something Microsoft market as being "The tablet that can replace your laptop" is problematic to use on your lap (ie Lap Top) that is something I would be interested in knowing about pre purchase. Sure it has the HP to run everything, but it is not very lappable.

But hey that's just me. I agree they are mostly very minor, but whats minor to some, bugs others.

Chrome isn't very battery efficient. Other than that, it has worked perfectly for me since I got my SP3 (i5, 128GB) in September. It's fairly touch-friendly. I have had no complaints.

I almost always use a lap desk, so the keyboard issue...isn't. Yes, the keyboard is detachable. I have never had the keyboard detach when I didn't want it to. I have had the Surface flip closed when I overbalanced it toward me. Hasn't hurt a thing. When I don't have a lapdesk or desk/table, I usually just flip the keyboard backward and use the on-screen keyboard.

I don't use a dock, so I can't say anything about those issues.

The fan... seriously? Nothing against the iPad, but this is a much more powerful machine, running a more powerful processor, capable of running more powerful software than the iPad. iOS is a portable OS, like Android. Windows is a desktop OS, like ... Windows. The fan's going to come on some of the time. If you want a tablet, the iPad is a good choice. The Surface is a hybrid... a little bit tablet, a lot of laptop.

logger

Whew! I just have the cursor disappearing....I hopefully got that fixed with buying me the $69.99 arc se mouse lol
Unfortunately I doubt that will fix it. I also have the arc mouse and the cursor still disappears in Chrome. Some clever guy suggested installing the Restart Chrome extension. It provides a convenient work around and brings the cursor back for a while.