What's new

Solved Some keys of the type cover not working

Plantje

As soon as I got my type cover I noticed it wasn't working. After a while it did work except for some keys (the "b", "n", "m" and ",") A little while later they worked, so I assumed it was due to some battery perhaps in the type cover.

Today all of a sudden those keys stopped working again. How can I determine if the issue is in the Surface or in the Type Cover?

I intend to go to a local store today and connect the Type Cover to another tablet and connect my tablet to another Type Cover. I assume that is the only way.

I have tried starting using the volume up and power button held down. But that didn't help

OP
Plantje

Plantje

So, I went to the office, started my S3 several times and the keys didn't work. Then one time after starting it the keys worked for a few seconds and then quit again. Now I am typing this on that same type cover. I really don't know what is going on!

I have contacted the seller and he is thinking along with me. But now I am still not sure if it was the Type Cover or the S3 what was giving the issue.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log in to Microsoft's website, register the serial of your type cover, request RMA

Ive found it easiest to do through live chat.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I have tried to register the type cover but that was not possible. My Surface 3 is registered though. Still I am not sure what caused the issue.

Currently I have the two devices separated. Let's see what happens if I connect it again in a few hours.

Telstar1948

To the OP, did you try your S3 with a different type cover and your own type cover with another S3?

I did this on a SP3 when the type cover failed to register at all with the SP3. I took it all into Best Buy and tried the type cover with another SP3 and my SP3 with a different type cover. That exercise made it clear that my type cover was fine but that I had experienced a hardware failure with my SP3, probably at the hardware connection point where the type cover attaches to the SP3. Anyway, MS replaced the SP3 and it's in use by my wife with the original type cover still going strong.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Ok, so I was able to register the type cover. I had to look at a different location I guess :)

Next to that, last Friday when I was in the office it didn't work and then after a while when I started it up for the fifth time or so everything started working again! And it has been working ever since.

Still I did go into a store and tested my S3 to a different type cover and my type cover to a different S3. Everything was up and running.

So, yesterday I called Microsoft. If it happens again I will do the test ASAP to determine if it is the tablet or the type cover. If I determine what is wrong I will contact Microsoft and see how they can help me.

Herrnwingert

I have a surface pro 4 i7. The cover (UK English) is driving me crazy!! Every time I start up there are 3 or 4 keys not working - not always the same. Today it is f, I, ) and del.
I try all the usual tricks: power off/on, with/without the cover, clean the connection, try the 30 second press the power switch restart, bang it, kick it.

Eventually I get all the keys working again - until the next time. This is amazingly frustrating for such an expensive machine.

Any thoughts, suggestions are very welcome.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

To be honest (knock on wood) I haven't had the issue anymore. In my case I am sure it were exactly the same keys that were not working.

I can imagine that it is especially bad if you have such an expensive device and I would advise to contact Microsoft about it. And of course: try the type cover on another SP4 and your SP4 on another type cover. If possible

OP
Plantje

Plantje

And today the issue is back :( Unfortunately I called in sick today so there is no way that I can test it with another type cover or test my type cover on another Surface. Any other suggestions?

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Ok, and now they're working again. I have been testing this very often the last hours since it didn't work. This morning at about 7.00 AM (perhaps even somewhat later) it didn't work. I had to take care of the children for a while and tested again at 7.34 AM and everything is working again!
I checked if perhaps an update had been installed, but no. What would be the best place to check what has happened in those 34 minutes that can cause the change?

One thing that I did notice last time is the 4-2-2016 firmware update is "behaving" strange. Obviously I immediately installed that update when it was available. And when I was talking to the Microsoft support person to check my warranty for my type cover he asked me to check for updates and this firmware update was available again. I had to install it, after the reboot the system mentioned some updates could not be installed and I needed to reboot. Again after a reboot the update is displayed as installed.
This happened yesterday as well. All of a sudden this firmware update was available again and I had to go through exactly the same again.
So, in my update history I now have 3 times the same firmware stated as succesfully installed. I can't help but think that updates have something to do with this strange behavior. I think this started again after a somewhat larger update (yes, the one where I went to build 10586.122)

OP
Plantje

Plantje

And again the keys are not working! Let's see if I can go into a store today (before they start working again).

And again as soon as I check for updates I saw a Windows Defender update for example, but again the 4-2-2016 firmware update. It's restarting now... pretty sure it will tell me it was unable to install some updates. (Keys are still not working) Yes there it is: Some updates could not be installed, click here for more information. After doing so I get to the standard updates screen and there are no updates found and no issues. If I look in the advanced area and then the history of updates I see the firmware update mentioned again with the notification that I need to restart the computer.

So, let's do that manually again... still the keys are not working and now there is a notification there is an issue with installing the firmware update.

And after some more rebooting the firmware is installed. But still no working keys :( (Obviously I'm still talking about the same set of keys that are not working)