What's new

Solved Some keys of the type cover not working

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Finally I got a little further! My brother was visiting yesterday. The keys of my Type Cover were not working again. So I connected my Type Cover to his Surface Pro 3 and his Type Cover to my Surface 3. And now it became clear that it is the Type Cover itself that is malfunctioning.

So, now I will have to send it in for replacement. I only need to call Microsoft as I want to use my credit card and have them send me a new Type Cover before I have to send in the defective one.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Received my new Type Cover today and all seems to be working perfectly on this one. The touch pad of this one makes some more noise, but I think that shouldn't be an issue.

wolfie

Hi,

~ 1 2 3 4 5 6 - = keys on my Type Cover suddenly stop working. Is there a virus attack going on? I've tried all the steps on MS support page but none works.

When I contact MS, they keep asking me to pay 69 bucks just to have a phone call with them as my device is already out of warranty. I refuse to do so.

It only happened 2 days ago, 5th Nov 2016. Does anyone else have the same issue? Is it due to some updates again? Thanks.

Turbo4AWD

Finally I got a little further! My brother was visiting yesterday. The keys of my Type Cover were not working again. So I connected my Type Cover to his Surface Pro 3 and his Type Cover to my Surface 3. And now it became clear that it is the Type Cover itself that is malfunctioning.

So, now I will have to send it in for replacement. I only need to call Microsoft as I want to use my credit card and have them send me a new Type Cover before I have to send in the defective one.

Yeah, noticed the noisy touchpad button click as well, but doesn't bother me much since I usually touch the screen rather than click the mouse button for whatever link I need to click on a website.

mahavir

As soon as I got my type cover I noticed it wasn't working. After a while it did work except for some keys (the "b", "n", "m" and ",") A little while later they worked, so I assumed it was due to some battery perhaps in the type cover.

Today all of a sudden those keys stopped working again. How can I determine if the issue is in the Surface or in the Type Cover?

I intend to go to a local store today and connect the Type Cover to another tablet and connect my tablet to another Type Cover. I assume that is the only way.

I have tried starting using the volume up and power button held down. But that didn't help

I had problem with key 'p' in my surface RT. It used to work on and off and one day it stopped working. Then some other keys '0'; 'backspace' ; ']' also gave up. Reading many blogs was not much help . In desperation I kept pressing the key 'p' for few seconds and lo and behold it started working. The other keys also returned to function. I don't know the relation between these keys. Hope this will be of help. I am not an expert.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

The replacement Type Cover fortunately never had this issue. But thank you for your response. Perhaps that is a "solution"