Some keys stop working then work again for no reason

I need a new keyboard?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, you need to x y and z

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike T clark

I have a bizarre issue with my pro 4 surface keyboard. Both shift keys, numbers 7 8 and 9, r, t, and the del key do not work all the time. Numbers will sometimes work if I press and hold as do the r and t. However, for no reason at all they will starting working like normal for a while then stop working again after a few minutes.

This happened a week ago and very suddenly, although the r and t have only just decided to fail too.

I pried some keys off to see if there was damage, but it looked find, no evidence of spillage or some obstructing the keys, just a little dust.

Sticky keys is not on, nor are filter keys. The language is correct as is the keyboard layout.

I rebooted, nothing.

I reset windows, hoping that any program I installed, which maybe causing an issue, would be removed and I would get my keys back. It did nothing.

So, I'm stumped. Idk if the keyboard is just got a short life span and after a few years it's just dying. Anyone had this before, or know what it could be. Is it just I need a new keyboard?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Find a friend with a Surface keyboard. Borrow it for 5 minutes. See if it works. Isolate the problem to either your keyboard or your computer. Then decide next step.

jott27

I have a bizarre issue with my pro 4 surface keyboard. Both shift keys, numbers 7 8 and 9, r, t, and the del key do not work all the time. Numbers will sometimes work if I press and hold as do the r and t. However, for no reason at all they will starting working like normal for a while then stop working again after a few minutes.

This happened a week ago and very suddenly, although the r and t have only just decided to fail too.

I pried some keys off to see if there was damage, but it looked find, no evidence of spillage or some obstructing the keys, just a little dust.

Sticky keys is not on, nor are filter keys. The language is correct as is the keyboard layout.

I rebooted, nothing.

I reset windows, hoping that any program I installed, which maybe causing an issue, would be removed and I would get my keys back. It did nothing.

So, I'm stumped. Idk if the keyboard is just got a short life span and after a few years it's just dying. Anyone had this before, or know what it could be. Is it just I need a new keyboard?
An oddball suggestion: Try to use different browsers and see if problem is with every one browsers.