What's new

Some kind of cooling pad for digital artists?

Ali

Hi everyone, this is my first post here after lurking for a little while. I hope I posted in the correct section here.

Anyways, I purchased my SP2 a few days ago and it seems like there are a few things I need to fix before I can really settle with it. I like to do a little digital painting sometimes. I was looking for a tablet that I can just relax with on the couch and paint away. However, the main issue I have is with the heat. I'm sure you can all relate. I have photoshop open with a simple drawing and that's it. It's not unbearable. I can still hold it after 20 minutes, but it's so uncomfortable. I noticed this heat slows the system down, sometimes stops it. My artdock freezes up or disappears. I can't minimize photoshop anymore. I'm sure these are symptoms of the hot system.

Is there some kind of a wrap-away cooling station powered by USB? I don't mind holding an extra half an inch "dock" so I can hold the thing longer and have the system cool down better.

If I can't get this down.... I don't know.....

Thanks everyone!

OP
A

Ali

Is the entire tablet hot or just part of it? Can you hear the fans kick on?

Yes the entire thing gets hot.
I don't really hear the fan kick in actually... If it is, it's not loud. I'm not sure if it's because of me holding it in a certain way that the fan doesn't really turn on.
Is there a program that monitors if my fans turn on?

GoodBytes

When hot, stick your ear on top the device where the microphone hole is, but on the left and right side of it. You should hear the fan.
If not, and you are plugged in, then it could be something faulty with the device. More testing is required, like if teh device gets hot when you are not doing anything intensive.
If you do hear the fan, then the device works correctly.

Keep in mind that the Surface metal body is used as a cooling, so placing the back on some times of cloth, might build up heat, passing the device from warm (during intensive usage), to hot where you have trouble holding it, or can't even touch it, as you seam to describe. Be sure that the device has adequate air flow. As this is summer time in the North side of Earth, and I assume you are there, and perhaps you don't have A/C at your place, it might explain why the device is getting warmer then usual.

The Targus pads look like they would help:
Cooling | Targus | Targus
Unfortunately they're designed to have device sit on them, rather than attach. Velcro could be an option; depends what sort of artist you are!

Here's some "lap-desk" type options for you to consider (really depends how you prefer to hold the device)
Amazon.com: Cooler Master NotePal LapAir - Laptop Lap Desk with Pillow Cushion and Cooling Fan (R9-NBC-LPAR-GP): Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...d_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CJ1CSMMFFD97YAAEVWQ

infer66

Try using Intel XTU utility and undervolt the cpu and gpu slightly if the fan is working ok. I get -10 C degrees ever since my undervolt even on full load.

Try using Intel XTU utility and undervolt the cpu and gpu slightly if the fan is working ok. I get -10 C degrees ever since my undervolt even on full load.

Good tip.

How much is 'slightly'? All chips are different, but nice to have a reference.
Does the Intel XTU have stability testing?