What's new

Some Microsoft Surface RT Users Experiencing WiFi Problems

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
surface-army.jpg

Despite the obvious high quality of the new Microsoft Surface RT tablet, technology is a complex thing, and there are bound to be some issues. Previously, members in our forums shared they have experienced issues with their keyboards and that issue is being addressed in the media. According to this latest intel, some users over at Microsoft's own support pages have reported experiencing WiFi problems with the new device. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Microsoft started shipping the tablet on Oct. 25 and the first complaints appeared two days later. The thread is now 16 pages long, with users saying Wi-Fi issues are causing disruptions to movie streams, file downloads and Web applications.

"My connection to the wifi network frequently and repeatedly goes 'limited'. If I reset the connection by turning on and off airplane mode it works again, but only for a short amount of time ... before I have to repeat the process again," wrote one user who goes by the name kjkeys88.

Another poster, EricLinneman, who said he is a senior consultant at Microsoft, also said his wireless connection was showing as "limited." Rebooting his tablet only temporary resolved the problem.

Some users thought the problem could be with their wireless router instead of the tablet, but EricLinneman wrote that the connectivity problems appeared to be consistent across different router brands. Other users said the problem was happening with their Surface tablet only, not their other wireless devices.

"I have the same issue. My iPad works just fine on the same network. And my wireless Xbox also works just fine. Only my new Surface has issue," wrote poster Brian Peal.

A forum moderator and Surface support engineer at Microsoft, Steven_B, wrote on Nov. 5 that Microsoft was investigating the issue.

"We're sorry to hear about the WiFi going into Limited connectivity and having poor signal strength. We are aware of the issue and are currently investigating the cause," wrote Steven_B on the board.

Apparently, this issue has also been reported in our own forums. You can find one of the threads here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/1931-surface-rt-wifi-connection-issue.html

There's no official word as to what is being done about the issue, but we are sure Microsoft is aware of the issue and will likely issue a patch fix sometime soon. Sound off if you have experienced these issues.

Source: ComputerWorld

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Everybody is out for blood these days. It isn't enough to have options of many different quality products, if the preferred band of an individual isn't "winning" or even if another alternative appears that seems competitive then it is all about tearing every possible item apart and destroying the competition. If this were a hardware issue with a faulty chip or design (think Asus gps) then it could be a legitimate gripe. If it is only a software issue it is easily fixed and doesn't warrant the proclamation on the internet that something is faulty beyond consideration so we should all just forget about using that device.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Everybody is out for blood these days. It isn't enough to have options of many different quality products, if the preferred band of an individual isn't "winning" or even if another alternative appears that seems competitive then it is all about tearing every possible item apart and destroying the competition. If this were a hardware issue with a faulty chip or design (think Asus gps) then it could be a legitimate gripe. If it is only a software issue it is easily fixed and doesn't warrant the proclamation on the internet that something is faulty beyond consideration so we should all just forget about using that device.

I'm not sure what you mean by "out for blood." I don't think anyone is suggesting we need to "write off" the device because of this minor hiccup, or that it isn't "winning." It's just an issue that has arisen. If we address it in the community, then the problem can be easily fixed. The more feedback Microsoft gets the quicker they can nail down the issue.

This is not likely a faulty design. The Surface is an amazing device. It is also an amazingly complicated device to manufacture, so it is not surprising we will see a few problems at first. It will all work out in the end, and we are getting amazing feedback across the forums about this new tablet!

J515OP

Super Moderator
I just mean that "media outlets" (if you can call some of the websites and bloggers that) tend to try and pick up on any misfire and push it out regardless of the device. Many of these devices do not deserve the harsh criticism while at the same time overlooking the positive features of a device. I guess FUD headlines sell a lot more ads than well balanced reviews do. Some issues are legitimate and should be published to inform buyers and some issues are not issues at all but there seems to be a lot of people making issues out of any little thing regardless. So far I haven't seen one article talking about how users on forums are happy to finally have a tablet that mostly works like a PC and is a device that many have been waiting for a long time for. Or about how Android tablets are being made affordable for the masses rather than saying they have to compete as low budget items because they can't compete any other way. Have you seen how amazing the Jelly Bean tablets are? They also just happen to be inexpensive which should be a virtue not a point to be disparaged.

Maybe I had sour milk in my cheerios but seriously we should all be rejoicing that the dying PC tech world has been revitalized by tablets and that there are many awesome options instead of picking things apart for a minor software glitch here and there or because the device uses plastic for the case instead of aluminum, etc.

JP

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
^^ Bump. Well said J5150P! Now I understand your point better, and I agree whole-heartedly. I am very pleased with how well the Surface RT turned out and am looking forward to the other Surface products coming out next year! Also, I am sure that Microsoft cares very much about this issue for the few users that are experiencing it, and will work it out.

rossrich66

Yes, I experience this issue of limited connection at home while other wireless devices do not. However, I did take my Surface to another wi-fi hot spot away from home and it seemed to be ok. However, now that I read this post, I'm definitely interested to find out if I (we) have a bonafide connectivity problem here.

Antonio

I have a same problem with WiFi limitation in my surface. From to Mexico

I have a same problem with WiFi limitation in my surface. From to Mexico

surface-army.jpg

Despite the obvious high quality of the new Microsoft Surface RT tablet, technology is a complex thing, and there are bound to be some issues. Previously, members in our forums shared they have experienced issues with their keyboards and that issue is being addressed in the media. According to this latest intel, some users over at Microsoft's own support pages have reported experiencing WiFi problems with the new device. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Apparently, this issue has also been reported in our own forums. You can find one of the threads here: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...on/1931-surface-rt-wifi-connection-issue.html

There's no official word as to what is being done about the issue, but we are sure Microsoft is aware of the issue and will likely issue a patch fix sometime soon. Sound off if you have experienced these issues.

Source: ComputerWorld