What's new

Some notes on power savings

tony8154

I want to try this but I have no idea what this part means:

-I've unlocked all power settings in control panel. It doesn't do any harm and if you think you messed things up, just click on reset button and everything back to defaults. The way to do is go to registry and HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings and for all GUID strings (Also for its children - only GUIDs) add a REG_DWORD with the name of "Attributes" and set it to 2. If there is one there already make sure you change it into 2. (Don't worry about this registry modification, it just makes them appear in control panel -> Power without that setting they are hidden. Doesn't change anything by itself.)

Could someone please elaborate?

ScottyS

Yeah, I'm confused too. I'm with you down to PowerSettings but for "and for all GUID strings (Also for its children - only GUIDs)" do you mean all those listed under PowerSettings? Are all those listings GUID strings? I got 21 and each has 3 under DefaultPowerSchemeValues. That's a lot of places to be adding a new REG_DWORD.

upload_2014-12-21_7-12-37.png

VickiFL

I'm curious about some things. Does using the type cover drain the battery faster? Soon, I will have a lot of Bluetooth devices connected to my SP3, i.e.-keyboard, mouse, speaker, pen and my Lumia 1520. Probably not all at the same time very often. Does running a lot of Bluetooth devices drain the SP3 battery faster?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious about some things. Does using the type cover drain the battery faster? Soon, I will have a lot of Bluetooth devices connected to my SP3, i.e.-keyboard, mouse, speaker, pen and my Lumia 1520. Probably not all at the same time very often. Does running a lot of Bluetooth devices drain the SP3 battery faster?
You won't like the answer...but it depends

With that said, yes...Bluetooth connections will use battery, things like streaming music especially, keyboard and mouse will depend on usage. I stream Pandora to a Bluetooth Speaker from my 1520 for 8-10 hours day and haven't run out of battery.

VickiFL

You won't like the answer...but it depends

With that said, yes...Bluetooth connections will use battery, things like streaming music especially, keyboard and mouse will depend on usage. I stream Pandora to a Bluetooth Speaker from my 1520 for 8-10 hours day and haven't run out of battery.

Thank you for the response. I'll just have to experiment. :)

ptrkhh

In my case, Core Parking increases the battery life for about 15-20%. I got an increase from 7-7.5 hours to 8.5 hours with core parking alone (haven't messed with regedit yet). Quite impressive in my opinion.
Heres my setup for Core Parking (with Process Lasso https://bitsum.com/processlasso/)
coreparking.png

Heres the tricky part. To allow Core Parking to park unused cores more often, we have to keep most background, non-intensive processes away from 'parkable' cores so that the 'parkable' cores would stay parked instead of waken up from time to time. (Core 2 and Core 3 are 'parkable' cores, while Core 0 and Core 1 are always active). I did that by assigning the default CPU affinity for the following processes to 0-1 only (instead of 0-3).
(processlasso.exe and processgovernor.exe are from Process Lasso itself)
affinity.png

There are some processes that shouldn't be assigned that way because it will affect other processes. For example, assigning explorer.exe to 0-1 would affect all desktop programs. Assigning svchost.exe (Dcom) would affect all metro apps.

And finally, here is the result. The first two are before I activated Core Parking
batteryreport.png

(yes, my battery capacity exceeds the design capacity)

EDIT:
BT+WiFi always on. Display at about 40% (adaptive brightness disabled). I use it mostly for inking with OneNote and Drawboard PDF, browsing with IE, a dozen of metro apps, and a couple of desktop apps. Not much on music or video though

Last edited:

Felyne

In my case, Core Parking increases the battery life for about 15-20%. I got an increase from 7-7.5 hours to 8.5 hours with core parking alone (haven't messed with regedit yet). Quite impressive in my opinion.
Heres my setup for Core Parking (with Process Lasso https://bitsum.com/processlasso/) [snip]

Just dropping by to say thank you for this helpful little guide!
Two days ago, a german website offered keys for newest Process lasso Pro version and I finally came to testing your method.
What I noticed was, that before using process lasso and simply decreasing processor speed to 50% I had a few laggs with the touchpad on the typecover. :)

By the way, do you have ProBalance activated? It is activated by default, but I disabled it because it didn't seem helpful.

As a side note, maybe this is helpful for other users of process lasso:

When you want the service to start, but not the gui (it can use up to 7% CPU when its open, the core process does not even consume more than 1% CPU), you can change it in the program. Just open process lasso and navigate to Options > General Settings > Reconfigure the way process lasso starts and set it that the management console does not run at start, but allow the core engine to start with windows.