What's new

Something "different" in newer builds...

megatronium

Wow. Good job on the quick edit. Glad you added more.

Anyway, while I don't doubt that your previous unit had issues, you insinuated that a revision of some sort was made based on the date or lot the SP3 came from. That's what I was referring to. Congratulations on your new SP3.

InspectHerGadget

I agree if you have a yellow line like I have seen pictures of and you've just spent up to $2000 on the device, you might get a little bit irritated by it.

Microsoft on a per unit basis make heaps out of these devices and their quality control seems a bit hit and miss.

On the Wifi too, the SP3 and SP2 Bluetooth will reduce WiFi throughput by 50% or more if you have the bluetooth on. You may not notice it on internet especially if you have internet under 50Mbps download but I have 115Mbps cable here in Perth and the differences can sometimes be much more than a 50% reduction when Bluetooth is on. I did some tests using the site www.speedtest.net. I suppose you could also try other network speed testing utilities if your internet is slow anyway.

Cothek

Wow. Good job on the quick edit. Glad you added more.

Anyway, while I don't doubt that your previous unit had issues, you insinuated that a revision of some sort was made based on the date or lot the SP3 came from. That's what I was referring to. Congratulations on your new SP3.
I work as an industrial designer and create professional/consumer products and this very well could be the case. MS would place an order for, let's say, 300k units based on pre-orders and projections which gives them enough time to make any changes found in the initial builds and place the next order based on sales. This is common practice and from lot to lot things most definitely can change. Especially on the first batch there is likely to be changes. You can't find or predict every problem.

megatronium

I work as an industrial designer and create professional/consumer products and this very well could be the case. MS would place an order for, let's say, 300k units based on pre-orders and projections which gives them enough time to make any changes found in the initial builds and place the next order based on sales. This is common practice and from lot to lot things most definitely can change. Especially on the first batch there is likely to be changes. You can't find or predict every problem.

I understand that. Did you read the post from another person who had a SP3 from lot 1432 saying they still had similar issues?

Nevermind. MS updated the hardware and the new SP3s from lot 1432 and up are improved. Glad I have MS Complete so I can get a better unit later!

JimB

Complete is the answer. Heck you got some examples of people switching out an SP1 to the 3 free of charge. I wasn't that lucky with my SP1 but I did end up with a flawless exchange when the msata died.

Cothek

The irony here is that just because it's "newer" doesn't mean it's "better". I'm just saying that things change from build to build but that doesn't guarantee the product is "better". But, yes, hopefully and we must trust that bugs and problems are getting squashed from version to version.

Finally traded in my SP3 with the light bleed and the yellow streak for a shiny new model at Best Buy today (god those guys must hate me). This is Build number 1430. So far NO yellow streak and NO light bleed. Whew, so so happy. :).

I logged in to say the same thing. I took my SP3 back for the same reason and exchanged it at a MS store yesterday.

Changes I have noticed:
New digitizer layer?!*
No more haptic feedback with stat button.
pen has much much more friction.
A slight buzz when plugged in. A change in how the machine is grounded likely. I've seen this on other tablet and laptop designs.

*I had a launch day SP3 i5 256. I noticed right away an intriguing pattern on the screen when seen in relection that was the touch layer. It was rectangular like patter that made up the surface touch/digitizer layer. It is likely the clear tin-oxide layer used as a clear conductor. No too hard to see at the right angle with the right light. My New SP3 has absolutely no visible surface features at all. I am a little surprised to see such a major change in components.

God I love MS support.
EMPLOYEE: "Its less than a year old so it's under warranty. Where did you buy it?"
ME: Online at the MS Store.
Employee: "OK....(60s)... here is your new computer. We reset your extended warranty so it starts today. Anything else"
ME to Manager: There is a slight lump under my track pad, been there since day one.
Manager: Hm, that ridge on the right? Hey get this guy a new keyboard too.
EMPLOYEE: Does blue still work for you?
ME: I get to change?!
EMPLOYEE: They are all the same price. You can pick which ever one you want.
ME-EMPLOYEE-Back and forth about pros and cons. Me being stupid mostly.
ME: Ok, black!

Placebo effect.
I'll refer you to my other post but, leaving aside the slippery pen which doesn't slip anymore:

The touch/digitizer surface of the glass has changed from my Launch day model to the one I picked up in the store yesterday. Anyone with an earlier model I would love to get a picture of your screen, off and at a 40-60 angle with a lamp visible in the background. I should have taken one of the older model.

Also electrical characteristics have changed. The other model when plugged in seemed more grounded. The new one has a slight buzz if lightly touch the back when plugged in. Ahh, just like my old Toshiba...

Mine with yellow streak is lot 1433 and it has some light bleed too, so....

My old machine with the streak was log 1433 too. Can you see the touch layer on the screen if you look at a lamp in the background with the computer off and at a 45-65 degree angle? If so would you take an image of your screen with it off at a 45 angle.

By "lamp in the background" do you mean "lamp visible in the reflection"? Just curious.

I mean it is easier to see immediately surrounding a light in the background. But to see it you have to focus on the screen, not the image reflecting on the glass. For comparison, my new computer just has a grid of largely spaced, but nearly invisible dots, as opposed to short, thicker centimeter sized lines.

megatronium

I'll refer you to my other post but, leaving aside the slippery pen which doesn't slip anymore:

The touch/digitizer surface of the glass has changed from my Launch day model to the one I picked up in the store yesterday. Anyone with an earlier model I would love to get a picture of your screen, off and at a 40-60 angle with a lamp visible in the background. I should have taken one of the older model.

Also electrical characteristics have changed. The other model when plugged in seemed more grounded. The new one has a slight buzz if lightly touch the back when plugged in. Ahh, just like my old Toshiba...

Congratulations on your new SP3! Glad to hear that yours is improved and that others will reap the benefits going forward. If a hardware revision has indeed occurred, it's great that MS is on the ball.