What's new

Sometimes hitting my power button doesn't work. 10 seconds later surface reboots

macmee

I'm posting this because I don't know if it has to do with the crappy firmware update or if it's just one of the many other countless bugs that bug[strike]micro[/strike]soft has yet to fix in our $1500 mentally incapacitated toy.

1. When my device is in sleep I push the power button
2. Absolutely nothing happens. OK, wait a few more seconds, push it again
3. Nothing happens still-- approximately 3 seconds later I see the "surface" text on my screen
4. Device prompts me for my password and has rebooted

Also if anyone can tell me if there's any Windows 8 tablets that aren't riddled with bugs that would be great, because I'd be interested in getting one.

mennogreg

This has happened to me before. In my case, it was the glorious December update where I first noticed it. The one that'll be fixed as soon as possible.

I want to say this though. Downloading the small hardware update a few days ago, I began using Sleep exclusively, and I have yet to have any problems coming out of sleep. Now of course its only been a few days, but we'll see. Would feel better when that damn firmware finally comes out.

OP
macmee

macmee

This has happened to me before. In my case, it was the glorious December update where I first noticed it. The one that'll be fixed as soon as possible.

I want to say this though. Downloading the small hardware update a few days ago, I began using Sleep exclusively, and I have yet to have any problems coming out of sleep. Now of course its only been a few days, but we'll see. Would feel better when that damn firmware finally comes out.

You got an update a few days ago?

In my "view updates" there's no hardware update, and when I hit the "update" button it fails...

tinycg

I also had this issue, god looking back on it my original SP2 had a lot of problems haha. I haven't had my exchange unit long enough to know if it's fixed in this one but I haven't seen it happen yet so crossing my fingers. I originally took it to an MS store explaining this exact problem, he was reluctant at first, and then willing to replace it and then said that he didnt have any available (thanks for the help)... I went through the online warranty exchange and I'm quite happy with the exchange despite still having a 4200u I've seen none of the previous problems.

OP
macmee

macmee

I also had this issue, god looking back on it my original SP2 had a lot of problems haha. I haven't had my exchange unit long enough to know if it's fixed in this one but I haven't seen it happen yet so crossing my fingers. I originally took it to an MS store explaining this exact problem, he was reluctant at first, and then willing to replace it and then said that he didnt have any available (thanks for the help)... I went through the online warranty exchange and I'm quite happy with the exchange despite still having a 4200u I've seen none of the previous problems.

There's no Microsoft store where I live. I'm in their live help queue now. I need to get my broken touch 2 cover exchanged, I'll also see about getting my surface pro 2 exchanged too. Jeez, this sucks :(

Does the fan suddenly run for a couple of seconds after the first button press?

Not that I'm aware, but perhaps I haven't heard it. I'll listen for it next time it does this.

mennogreg

Scratch what I said earlier! I did a stress test, having my surface go into sleep about 20 times within the past hour. When pressing the power button, I had two of the Sleep crashes. When closing the lid, I had zero. So the problem is still there, but that may be why I haven't noticed it earlier, as I almost always close the cover to sleep.

OP
macmee

macmee

Scratch what I said earlier! I did a stress test, having my surface go into sleep about 20 times within the past hour. When pressing the power button, I had two of the Sleep crashes. When closing the lid, I had zero. So the problem is still there, but that may be why I haven't noticed it earlier, as I almost always close the cover to sleep.

Closing the cover doesn't cause it to crash for you? When I close my touch cover against my surface nothing happens and the screen stays on :(

If you swipe from the right and hit "sleep" in "settings (I think), does it cause crashes?

Rvacha

Yes, that was the point sorta. Note the date on my post. This has been a problem since before the December botched firmware update - it has existed since the prior botched update and maybe the botched update prior to that. What is working fairly well for me is to configure all timers, cover, and power button to enter hibernate instead of sleep.

OP
macmee

macmee

Yes, that was the point sorta. Note the date on my post. This has been a problem since before the December botched firmware update - it has existed since the prior botched update and maybe the botched update prior to that. What is working fairly well for me is to configure all timers, cover, and power button to enter hibernate instead of sleep.

When you say configure cover, again when I flip my cover against my screen it doesn't turn off :(

but are there any downsides to hibernate over sleep? an 8GB pagefile seems scary!