What's new

Sometimes when turning screen off, the fan goes INTENSE for several seconds. Crash!

macmee

This seems to be a relatively new phenomenon that has happened several times to me over the past 2 days:

1. I turn the screen off (which should put it into hibernated based on my settings)

2. the fan goes NUTS

3. When I turn the surface back on, it asks for my password and had completely rebooted

GoodBytes

I am sorry. How can 1 person, have soooooooooo many problems with your Surface Pro 2. Since I joined, as see you complain about issues with your Surface Pro 2. Will you return it already?
Sorry for being an ass, but come on.

You must be one unlucky person. May I suggest a diet of Lucky Charms. :)
Or maybe you are one crazy lucky person, the Surface Pro 2 just output bad luck non stop to create a balance of luck in your life.

In all seriousness, I have no idea why it does this. Refresh your system. Don't install anything see if the problem is back, if not, do all the updates, and see if it comes back, if not then install your software. If it comes back, then you know its one of your software you installed. If all works, then voila fixed.

Last edited:
OP
macmee

macmee

I am sorry. How can 1 person, have soooooooooo many problems with your Surface Pro 2. Since I joined, as see you complain about issues with your Surface Pro 2. Will you return it already?
Sorry for being an ass, but come on.

You must be one unlucky person. May I suggest a diet of Lucky Charms. :)
Or maybe you are one crazy lucky person, the Surface Pro 2 just output bad luck non stop to create a balance of luck in your life.

In all seriousness, I have no idea why it does this. Refresh your system. Don't install anything see if the problem is back, if not, do all the updates, and see if it comes back, if not then install your software. If it comes back, then you know its one of your software you installed. If all works, then voila fixed.

Yeah it's pretty mind numbing how I'm having all these issues.

I've tried to exchange it. I'll be on my second exchange at this point, and they haven't removed the hold from my credit card from my previous exchange, so I will be temporarily out over $2,000 or so. There are no Microsoft stores here too, and the previous Surface they sent me came from somewhere in the States, it took 2 weeks to arrive :p. Going through a second exchange again is a last resort sort of thing for me.

I just completely reinstalled Windows (again). There wasn't anything installed on it last time other than office. At any rate, after the most recent reinstall I'm atleast seeing the 8.1 update 1, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

As per the other issues. Well-- fuck.

GoodBytes

Yea I don't trust companies doing holds. It's always a headache. I would simply do a regular exchange, meaning return the device, wait for replacement. It means 1-2 weeks about (I mean it depends on where you live, of course) of having nothing but you don't have holds or charges and stuff.

I think Dell is the only manufacture out there where they have a level of trust with the consumer, where they ship you a replacement product, and in the box of the product you have a pre-paid shipping label to stick over the old one, to return the faulty product in question. That is what I miss from switching from Dell to Microsoft.
I am sure Dell system gets abused 'cause you always have... these people... in life, but I don't think its that of a problem. Beside they can send you a bill or charge your credit card, I mean they have all that info when you order from them.

Korlon

Mac I have a suggestion.

Mail me your credit card, I'll go buy an SP2 for you at the local MS store and ship it to you... Can't guarantee I'll remember to send the card with it, but I'll try.

GoodBytes

Mac I have a suggestion.

Mail me your credit card, I'll go buy an SP2 for you at the local MS store and ship it to you... Can't guarantee I'll remember to send the card with it, but I'll try.

Then he will get the card, but you forgot to ship the SP2 :p
j/k

OP
macmee

macmee

Mac I have a suggestion.

You can't have the credit card, but I can get you the 3 month old $1000 hold Microsoft put on it for the previous advanced exchange :D

GoodBytes

You can't have the credit card, but I can get you the 3 month old $1000 hold Microsoft put on it for the previous advanced exchange :D

I wonder if you go at your bank location, and ask about it, I am sure the teller can cancel it or something.
As it's been 3 months. Sure sure they'll say it's Microsoft or whatever to brush you off, but if you push, maybe something can be done.

mennogreg

What you guys are describing is the BSOD (Black Screen of Death). This has been a known issue with the Surface Pro 2 for some time now. If its happening far too often, try changing your sleep/hibernate settings.

Guybrush

That's happened in my unit too two times after installing the update. It happened waking the device after an inactivity period, with the device using just battery, never happened with device connect with cable, btw I tried to reset the sleep settings with factory defaults, since now the problem not appeared again but I'm monitoring it.

Guybrush

@macmee Seem I definitely fixed it in my device doing so :

open command prompt using Administrator mode and type :

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

after it finish type

sfc /scannow

Let me know if it helps you, in my device seem working fine sleeping mode now.