What's new

Sorry to start like this - Sb keeps saying attached

ykmike

I have a Surface book i7 16gb. Brilliant piece of kit but since Sunday It has started intermittently displaying "Attached" every few seconds. This renders the keyboard and USB ports useless.
I have loaded any and all updates, two button resets, cleanmgr, (only saving grace was once it worked long enough for me to run a backup).
I have Adobe Elements & Premier use Edge as my browser.
Any suggestions please?
Mike

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a loose or dirty connection. Check/clean the hinge connectors on the Base (keyboard), and blow out their receivers on the Clipboard (screen; actual Surface). Also make sure any vinyl skin is not pinching or getting in the way of a tight connection.

OP
Y

ykmike

Many thanks for the idea. Yes I tried cleaning the contacts, magnets and mating surfaces. Have also tried locking screen rotation,
Virus scan using Kaspersky.
Surface diagnostics from MS

I took a video this morning it performing its "Attached" trick - 4 times in 1 minute (cold start, both batteries fully charged) - I have given up trying to convert the video to a file that I can upload here, but it shows my surface on the floor fully open, having just logged in to MS

I am reluctant to put more money in but do you know if the (usb/ethernet/video) port would connect to the tablet section?

Thank you

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... do you know if the (usb/ethernet/video) port would connect to the tablet section?

Yes, the docking station (and your charger) can connect directly to the Clipboard (screen).

Do you know anybody else with a Surface Book? The actual computer is your Clipboard, and the Base units (keyboards) are interchangeable. So it would be helpful for you to try your Clipboard on someone else's Base, to see which may be the offending item.

OP
Y

ykmike

Thank you for sharing my trouble.

No one in my circle has a keyboard I could swap with, perhaps a well know auction site?

I just have a feeling it is a software type fix - perhaps a corrupt driver or wonky update (wishful thinking) A docking station would enable me to get some usage out of it so may be another way.

Thanks Mike

OP
Y

ykmike

Oh Joy - I had bought my surface secondhand and assumed it was out of warranty but I put my serial number into MS support to check - and I still have a few months!
Typed my problem in and got a returns authority - Didn't go quite to plan as I was in the wrong country.
Now waiting for UK desk to open (& fingers crossed) and hopefully a resolution.
Mike

everalm

Same problem for me, appears to lie with the latest updates from MS, particularly KB4013429. Removed last two patches and the problem goes away, reload, problem comes back. Remember to do full cold boot (two button shutdown) afterwards twice and then I'm good to go. Quick and dirty workaround for me, whilst I was trying to get to the bottom was to turn the keyboard around to the rear and just work off the screen.

OP
Y

ykmike

I didn't get any improvement turning the around. But I will try undoing the patch (Thanks Everalm)

OP
Y

ykmike

Update: remove patches resulted in a fix (yay!) but not for long, spurred on I tried a refresh device - oh dear that removed all my programs and still not fixed but lots of (new) other issues.

Support call yesterday looked promising but alas the promised return label didn't turn up

Two more hours on support calls tonight. I was sent to sites with more broken links, no answers. At one point they were sending a usb with boot image but changed mind then I was offered a replacement SB if they put a charge on my credit card for full price (I should coco) refundable when they get my machine. So presently I am waiting for an email with return labels.

Sad SB

OP
Y

ykmike

Oh I forgot I have used the make system image (win 7) as backup Restore hasn't so far worked I got bogged down it bit locker stuff.