What's new

Sound volume drop off

mikecox

I was setting up my recently replaced SB when the sound volume suddenly dropped off, which used to happen with my original SB.

Eventually, the volume returned, as it always did on my original SB, but why is this happening again, on a brand new machine. Just like it did on the old one?

I tried rebooting but that didn't reset the volume.

Then I tried pulling the power cable off the machine, which disengages the docking station and the input to the external speakers. When I plugged it back in the volume returned to normal, but dropped off again soon after. Every time I disconnected to power and plugged it back in the volume returned to normal, for a short while before dropping off again. Clearly, there is a connection, but what is it?

Is there an overheating issue? Because when I put the machine to sleep and return later the sounds stay up for a long time, hours actually before it drops off again.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Hey Mike,

Did you have any audio devices or cords plugged into the docking station?
I have all the things the docking station is designed for; a BOSE speaker system with its own power supply, a SSD, and an external monitor. I've had this setup for years without any sound issues.

This is a fairly new occurrence, it started about 2 months ago and totally baffled me.

I'm pretty savvy around computers, been using them since the days of DOS, and my troubleshooting turned up nothing. All systems are go. But because this isn't a daily event and because it's so intermittent it often comes as a complete surprise.

As I said, if I do nothing it eventually returns to normal, either the next time I turn my computer on or after I unplug the power to the computer and plugged it back in. But the last time I tried this solution the only came back for a few minutes before dropping off again. At this point, the sound is fine and has been all morning. But I know it will drop off again, at some totally unexpected time.

The reason I think it's a heat issue is that it happens after I've been working for several hours, usually while in the Adobe Premiere Pro video editor.

But this is clearly a SB Docking Station issue.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Mike. Yes, I know from your posts you are savvy enough... :cool:

I asked, because sound dropping in volume is sometimes because of a cross-voltage detected in stereo wiring; essentially a short. It could indeed be that your dock is overheating, and shorts out an audio connection.

If heat is an issue, a metal heat sink may help. Something with lots of surface area or fins. It will get warm, but keep the interior of the dock from getting as warm as it does now.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

If heat is an issue, a metal heat sink may help. Something with lots of surface area or fins. It will get warm, but keep the interior of the dock from getting as warm as it does now.
Makes sense, I'll go online and pick up one. Thanks fyi I've been on my computer for several hours and there has been no sound drop off. /-: