What's new

SP has begun acting "strangely"...

mitchellvii

Starting yesterday and into today, my SP has begun displaying some odd behavior:

1) MS Outlook 2007 will no longer launch.
2) IE 10 in Modern UI gets hung up on a webpage and I can't navigate away from it. It's just "stuck".
3) Modern UI tiles stop responding completely.
4) Firefox has slowed to a crawl launching websites.
5) Sometimes when switching from portrait to landscape, the screen sort of cuts into two halves and the Taskbar and Charmsbar are no longer available.
6) Sometimes touch just stops working.
7) SDCard keeps randomly disconnecting so I have to reseat it.
8) Query Design in Access is completely screwed up. If I try and type into the Query Builder or SQL Editor, text gets all jumbled - this is very weird.

It's all very odd because I have not added any new apps or programs and haven't installed any major new updates. It is behaving as if I am running out of memory which shouldn't really happen with 4 GB ram. Have run virus scans and everything is clean. Has about 25 GB left on the SSD so that shouldn't be an issue. CPU has never gotten above 78C so don't think anything melted.

Anyone else having issues?

* One odd thing I have noticed in Windows Updates. The most recent 57 mb "Hardware Update" keeps coming back up and re-installing every day or so. Not getting any errors on reboot saying the installation failed, so why does it keep coming back?

* Also, my Event Viewer has thousands of errors. I had just racked that up to compatibility issues since I am running Office 2007, but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

tonyz3

just out of curiosity have you installed that new Intel driver recently. I had similar issues with the screen split and rolled back the driver to Dec 5th driver and it stopped. Not sure about the other problems. Also did you ever check under device manager to see if there were any yellow triangles next to anything, especially the updates....That might "esplain" the hardware update resetting. Or you can just chalk it all up to Karma.. :wink:

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

just out of curiosity have you installed that new Intel driver recently. I had similar issues with the screen split and rolled back the driver to Dec 5th driver and it stopped. Not sure about the other problems. Also did you ever check under device manager to see if there were any yellow triangles next to anything, especially the updates....That might "esplain" the hardware update resetting. Or you can just chalk it all up to Karma.. :wink:

What does Boy George have to do with it?

Seriously though, checked device drivers. Everything appears in order. Could be the Intel driver. How would I go about rolling that back?

tonyz3

under device mgr rt click, properties, driver , than rollback, update- also this worked for me, but i remember someone not working and i think they disabled or uninstalled (not sure- search for this option) it and did an update which put the old one back on, I hope this works

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

under device mgr rt click, properties, driver , than rollback, update- also this worked for me, but i remember someone not working and i think they disabled or uninstalled (not sure- search for this option) it and did an update which put the old one back on, I hope this works

Well I rolled back the driver but I still have the newer HD 4000 Control Panel so don't know if that took or not.

tonyz3

I still have the control panel but under where you rolled it back the driver date should have changed. did any of the issues go away?

Ruffles

Check the event viewer messages and see if the refer to the hard disk controller or the ESENT service warning about hardware failure. I'm getting those kind of messages but my SP is still running fine.

For the windows update issue, try this...
Open control panel on the desktop.
Go into troubleshooting.
Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update
Go thru the trouble shooter.
Afterwards, right click on your c drive in my computer and select properties an do a disk clean up. (you have to select clean up system files)

I found those instructions when I was searching for info on one of the messages in my event viewer. To my surprise, the trouble shooter reported that I had problems and that it fixed them even though I didn't have the same issue you do with a stuck update.

Last night, I purchased Macrium Reflect. I'm planning to make an image of my SP first, then wipe it and try to make a restore image following the instructions here to see if it works better. If not, I can always restore.
Surface Pro: Dump the Factory Image. It?s for the Best. | CRASHCTRL

Last edited:

machistmo

What does the firmware in device manager look like? Is it waiting on a reboot?
My surface displayed "strange" behavior until I got that sorted out. I had to choose the device and properties and issue the reboot from the driver screen there to get it to take.
Firmware.png

Arizona Willie

I'm getting the split screen thing too. I have two monitors on my desktop computer and apparently the Surface is synching to the desktop and trying to emulate that display even though it only has one monitor!!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I'm getting the split screen thing too. I have two monitors on my desktop computer and apparently the Surface is synching to the desktop and trying to emulate that display even though it only has one monitor!!

Try rolling back to the original Intel 4000 drivers.