What's new

SP screen way too big

Arizona Willie

Lately my SP1 screen is 3 times the size it should be.

When browsing I can drag the browser clear off the screen either right or left with either Firefox or IE.

When I go into personalize and look at the resolution it says the adapter is Mobil PC adapter not the Intel 4000 which is what is actually installed.

It used to say Intel 4000 but I cannot get it to say that anymore.

It is set to 1920 X 1080 which it says is the recommended resolution.

But where you pick your background etc. the picture of the background is wide.

I tried setting it to a single color but that soon goes away ALL BY ITSELF and I'm back to a wide screen like the resolution is 5700 X 1080 instead of 1920 X 1080.

The problem is ONLY with the width ... the height is fine.

My desktop has dual monitors and I have the primary monitor extended to the secondary and when I take a screen shot it includes both monitors.

I suspect it has something to do with synching and the SP is picking up the width of both monitors on the desktop but I don't know how to stop it.

It says the resolution is correct but the actual desktop is way way too wide.

Any suggestions / solutions to fix this?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assuming you have rebooted and done a two button shutdown.
Use the Control Panel tool to reset the Display Subsystem. Oh wait, it doesn't exist. You have to use that other utility... REFRESH

Last edited:
OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Ain't no way in hell I'm doing a REFRESH.

Did that once and lost everything. Had to completely re-install all my programs.
Fortunately I have a daily backup made at 6 pm every night, but it was still a huge pain in the rear.
Probably took me over a week to get everything back.

Assuming you have rebooted and done a two button shutdown.
Use the Control Panel tool to reset the Display Subsystem. Oh wait, it doesn't exist. You have to use that other utility... REFRESH

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ain't no way in hell I'm doing a REFRESH.

Did that once and lost everything. Had to completely re-install all my programs.
Fortunately I have a daily backup made at 6 pm every night, but it was still a huge pain in the rear.
Probably took me over a week to get everything back.
Uninstall the Video Driver from Device Manager and reboot and allow Windows to install the correct driver....

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

That is one of the first things I tried.
It said it was Intel HD 4000 in Device Manage although on the resolution screen it only will show Mobile PC Display.

After removal it was still the same.

Device Manager said Intel HD 4000 but resolution screen will only show Mobile PC Display.

I just did it again this morning.
I also told it to remove the software and THAT may have been a mistake.
I < presumed > it would redownload any needed software as well as the driver.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is one of the first things I tried.
It said it was Intel HD 4000 in Device Manage although on the resolution screen it only will show Mobile PC Display.

After removal it was still the same.

Device Manager said Intel HD 4000 but resolution screen will only show Mobile PC Display.

I just did it again this morning.
I also told it to remove the software and THAT may have been a mistake.
I < presumed > it would redownload any needed software as well as the driver.
Did you adjust DPI scaling?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where to do that. In Windows 7 it was out in the open but in W8 and W10 it is either hidden or they call it something else or I haven't stumbled across it.
There is a link on making fonts bigger or smaller from the Screen Resolution Settings or Control Panel