What's new

SP X temperature?

darrix

Hi, I’ve been thinking of getting a SP X, primarily for note taking, but I have a question. How warm does the device get? Is it closer to the temperature of an iPad or a Surface Pro?

Thanks much

kojack

I would say ipad pro is really close. My ipad heats up at times, but it's when it's hanging on some garbage app.

OP
D

darrix

Thanks, my SP just gets too hot to use like this and I'm thinking the SP X will work out better for me.

kojack

Yes, the X will not get as warm as the pro for sure. Just remember not all software works with the X. Only arm and 32bit x86 software from the MS store.

OP
D

darrix

Yes, the X will not get as warm as the pro for sure. Just remember not all software works with the X. Only arm and 32bit x86 software from the MS store.
yes, thanks. for the most part I'll be using Office, particularly OneNote. What I want most is long battery life and low temperature when writing.

kojack

Ok, yes, you are good to go with the X. I am ditching my ipad for an X early next year too. I am suck with an iPhone for another two years, went against my better judgement. ha ha.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Pro X can get warm occasionally, and like any device you can push it beyond its thermal capacity, but under normal productivity and note taking you should be fine...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does yours get past "Warm" Jnjroach? my ipad never gets uncomfortable.
If you run on a maximum power while plugged in, driving a 4KUWHD Monitor with multiple decks, spreadsheets, Outlook, Edge multiple tabs, OneNote and doing a Video Conference Call I've over-heated the Pro X :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a morning of normal use, my Pro X Is 85.2°F , 29.55°C the only time I typically notice any warming is when charging it but I don't do what jnjroach described. My use includes Mail, Browsing with multiple tabs with or without embedded videos (see MLB.com, NLF.com, etc) Excel, Word, occasional youtube etc. ... An Intel Pro will be warmer for sure but I don't have one warmed up to take its temperature rn.

OP
D

darrix

Hey, thanks to you all for your thoughts and guidance. I did get one and love it. The temperature is just what I was hoping for in terms of note-taking and, frankly, it does most of the other things I need it to adequately. Still learning how to leverage WSL2 and hoping to get Docker installed soon but for longevity, temperature, and performance, it's doing great.