What's new

SP2 4gb ram 128gb VS 8gb ram 256gb?? help

ojopollo

Hello wanted to ask a question, Performance 4GB ram to 8gb of ram you notice when you're playing? improves the graphics?

how much goes to spend the money on more and 8gb ram 256gb version. Or is it better to buy the 4GB version and buy a 480GB msata and replace?

msata 480GB costs about 200 € (I'm from Spain sorry for my English lol)

I await your answers, and thank you very much.

Sir Face

Do you realize the extremely difficult "surgery" involved in replacing the SSD in this virtually "un-servacible" device?

kevinlevrone

Hello wanted to ask a question, Performance 4GB ram to 8gb of ram you notice when you're playing? improves the graphics?

how much goes to spend the money on more and 8gb ram 256gb version. Or is it better to buy the 4GB version and buy a 480GB msata and replace?

msata 480GB costs about 200 € (I'm from Spain sorry for my English lol)

I await your answers, and thank you very much.

The mSATA is replaceable, but in order to open the Surface Pro 2 you have to heat it with a heat gun and melt the adhesive, and then glue it back on...you will ruin it.

I would say that for games the 4GB version is sufficient. You can add some more storage with a 64GB MicroSD card. The 8GB is for productivity: programmers, designers, IT professionals using several virtual machines, etc. There is no difference in graphical or CPU speed.

OP
O

ojopollo

if it's difficult, so i was wondering if the difference to 4gb ram 8gb ram it shows. if it improves the game for the graph, or you notice.

kozak79

I would say 4GB is cutting it close. I'd go for the 8gb version. When gaming on my SP2, I'm usually at 6gb of ram. Some games reach close to the 8gb threshold.

GoodBytes

Games are mostly in 32-bit these days. If they are in 64-bit they have a 32-bit version for those who are still running Windows XP or a 32-bit Vista which manufacture dump on systems.
32-bit games are limited to 2GB of RAM, and can expend up to 4GB but usually only demanding games what would normally not be playable on the Surface Pro will have an issue. Of course, Intel integrated graphics takes memory also.

Playing a game like Civ 5, will have the system consume 3.2GB. That is assuming you have nothing running on the back, beside Steam.
Add Firefox with 3 tabs opens with large sites loaded on them, IM software, you are at 3.7GB.

Add weather Windows 8 App, XBox Music (not playing on the back but loaded), you have reached 4GB.

So it depends on you, and your needs, and the games you plan to play.

redbrick

hope this doesn't rub folks the wrong way…just my opinion…..and assuming you’re talking about games…..

Your question is really centered around the amount of ram since this is not upgradable. You perceive the internal SSD as upgradable so this factor is irrelevant as part of your consideration for purchase.

If you’re playing games… your limitation is going to be the CPU and video card, not ram. In other words, if you’re playing ANY PC game that is going to require more than 4 gigs of dedicated ram….don’t bother. Skyrim for instance is right at about the top end on low settings this unit can handle.

Tablets have not reached that level of performance yet.

That said, if you can afford any of the 8gb model, you should go for that instead of the 4gig model. Nearly 4 years ago, the ipad was good enough for basic stuff. Today it chokes just navigating around basic stuff…. In my recent research, the Surface Pro 2 is the best tablet you can get on the market….just lacks mobile broadband. I would venture to bet that this unit will still be competitive with new units for the next 5 years or more.