What's new

SP2] Corner inking still a problem?

qwertyy

I'm slightly concerned about corner inking on SP2 since I've been hearing how bad it is. Is it awfully off when it comes to corner inking?

daniielrp

I don't think it is a 'surface' problem - I had two other tablet PCs prior to the pro 2, both used wacom digitizers like the SP2 and both also had corner/edge problems. As far as I can tell its a fairly well known wacom 'bug'.

This is likely why they went to N-trig for the sp3.

OP
Q

qwertyy

I don't think it is a 'surface' problem - I had two other tablet PCs prior to the pro 2, both used wacom digitizers like the SP2 and both also had corner/edge problems. As far as I can tell its a fairly well known wacom 'bug'.

This is likely why they went to N-trig for the sp3.

Thanks for the input :). If you try to write something in the corner, does it look significantly bad (as in not legible at all?)

GoodBytes

Corners is an issue with Wacom technology. It's a limitation of it.
The Surface Pro 3 uses N-Trig, N-Trig focus is more on hand writing than drawing, so it's more precise, better on corners, no need calibration out of the box, but the pen needs a battery, distance from the tablet and device tracking for palm rejection is smaller, and it is slower at tracking the pen if you draw quickly. It also tracks 256 level of pressure compared to 1024 from Wacom.

So there is ups and downs on both.

For your Surface Pro 2, you can try and calibrate the pen with Surface Tweak Tool (my software), but even after calibration, pen isn't great on corners, and tracking is still not great there. It might be better to you (it is for me compared to the default out of the box calibration), but I still have to avoid writhing on the corners and edges.

Usually it's not a real problem as I have menus there, but in OneNote it can be.

Last edited:
OP
Q

qwertyy

Corners is an issue with Wacom technology. It's a limitation of it.
The Surface Pro 3 uses N-Trig, N-Trig focus is more on hand writing than drawing, so it's more precise, better on corners, no need calibration out of the box, but the pen needs a battery, distance from the tablet and device tracking for palm rejection is smaller, and it is slower at tracking the pen if you draw quickly. It also tracks 256 level of precision compared to 1024 from Wacom.

So there is ups and downs on both.

For your Surface Pro 2, you can try and calibrate the pen with Surface Tweak Tool (my software), but even after calibration, pen isn't great on corners, and tracking is still not great. It might be better to you (it is for me compared to the default out of the box calibration), but I still have to avoid writhing on the corners and edges.

Usually it's not a real problem as I have menus there, but in OneNote it can be.

Ahh I see now. Thank you :)

Performance around the edges is better with the most current Wacom driver, if you do the longer calibration process.

It isn't awesome, if I was a artist, I wouldn't paint right at the edge for but writing and my ugly diagram sketches, it is fine.

OP
Q

qwertyy

Performance around the edges is better with the most current Wacom driver, if you do the longer calibration process.

It isn't awesome, if I was a artist, I wouldn't paint right at the edge for but writing and my ugly diagram sketches, it is fine.

Thanks for the input. How do you update the Wacom driver on a new machine? Is it included with the Windows update?