What's new

SP2 Micro SD card

Charlie

Is it just me or is the micro sd card slot a poor setup (or am I missing something)? Once you put it in it's hard to get back out, I had to
use a razor blade to pick it back out, on my other tablets/laptops once it's installed you just push it in a little and it pops back out. I must be missing
something, I'm sure your not suppose to pick it back out with a sharp object? :confused: :confused: :confused:

mitchellvii

You mean the razor blade wasn't included in the package? Microsoft focus tested this and determined that people actually prefer removing their sdcards with a razor blade.

Seriously though, yeah it's just you. You should be able to push it in with your thumbnail and it pops right out.

CrippsCorner

Yup same, it's pretty easy to take out. Maybe you've got a faulty slot! Out of interest why do you want to take it out? Mine's in there for life lol...

OP
Charlie

Charlie

I guess I'm going to have to stop chewing my fingernails, with my fat fingers it's hard to push it in. It works fine now after I played with it.

rubaxter

I guess I'm going to have to stop chewing my fingernails, with my fat fingers it's hard to push it in. It works fine now after I played with it.

Good Heavens, no razor blades please! : )

I use a thin, chopstick-like, wooden 'fingernail thing' (I've been assured that's the technical name), which seems to naturally have the the two ends tapered to just the right thickness, to release micro SD cards in a number of devices. You can whittle them down to even thinner tapers as the situation demands, and you can sell off the surplus that come in the package to others.

Jim M

Those "fingernail things" are called orange sticks. Besides fingernails, they are commonly used by electronics technicians to clean solder and wire strands off terminals that wires are soldered to. I believe they were originally made from orange wood because it wouldn't char or catch fire as quickly when exposed to heat from a soldering iron.

luckithroe

Had this problem with the card ejecting (software wise not physically) with the Surface Pro and Sandisk 128 sdxc. I tried two different sandisk cards and had the same problem. Ultimately I ended up finally getting a Toshiba Micro SDXC and the card has never eject since. My conclusion is that Sandisk must have released a rather large batch of these cards which over heat. Such most people weren't using them to install applications to, as I assume many of us with Surface Pros did, it remained largely un-reported. I could suggest a different card manufacturer for this issue as like I said, I tried with two brand new Sandisk cards and encountered similar issues with both prior to switching to my current Toshiba card.

luckithroe

Also , as for ejecting, I found the pen which comes with the Surface Pro to work perfect for helping eject my Micro SDXC. Hope this helps.

I was like that. Untill I thought about it. I would rather NOT have my 32gb SD card pop out for no reason. I would never find it. This is something I wouldn't mind if it had a cover for the slot.
Btw, I used a sandisk 80MB max transfer rate card. It worked. Wow. 50MB write, and it got up to 80MB/sec reads. Not bad considering my OLD 32GB Centon 3.0 usb only hits 35MB/sec.

I have also purchase a Samsung 64GB microsdxc (80MB read / 20MB write speed) for my SP2 but not sure if it needs to be format it first before use or I can use it as is. Also if formatted, can I use NTFS formatting instead of ex-FAT file format?

I have also purchase a Samsung 64GB microsdxc (80MB read / 20MB write speed) for my SP2 but not sure if it needs to be format it first before use or I can use it as is. Also if formatted, can I use NTFS formatting instead of ex-FAT file format?

I am sorry for posting this on the wrong forum, I have a Surface 2 with Windows RT 8.1, not an SP2. Maybe I should post a new thread on the S2 forum.