What's new

SP2 or Lenovo Yoga 2

reach

Hi there!
I know this is a stupid question and it depents solely on what you want. However, these two are on my shortlist to replace my iPad and Macbook by one device only.

the questions I'm asking myself are:
- is the SP2's screen large enough for websurfing on the couch?
- will the Yoga battery last long enough to watch videos during a 6+ hours flight? (and will the SP2's do????)

On the Surface I'm keen on the touch sensitive pen (just because it's cool)
On the Yoga I'm keen on the massive screen resolution (just because it's cool)

Finally the Yoga would offer 512GB SSD for similar money as the SP2 with 256GB, and it wil l have and i7, so it would definitely replace my desktop PC.

You see, I don't know what I want, so any suggestions/thoughts are welcome :)

Thx!
reach

polbit

There are two issues with the Yoga for me - the keyboard sticks out when folded like a tablet, and at 13" its just too big to be a tablet. I actually tried Dell XPS12 and at first the screen size was great, as a laptop, but I ended up returning it for the SP2 because it just wasn't working as a tablet.

Another issue, at least with Yoga 2 I played with at BB, was that it just wasn't running as smooth as thru SP2. I'm not sure if its due to the super hi-res screen being driven by Intel graphics (like first-gen rMBP 13") but it was noticeable.

xbilly

I was in a similar quandary as you and ended up going for SP2 256GB. In the end my decision was made based on SP2 having dual channel RAM as opposed to single channel on the Yoga which has an effect on the performance of the integrated GPU.

Glad I went for SP2 as have since read that Yoga has colo(u)r reproduction issues (specifically yellow) which is pretty poor for a product sold based an amazing HD+ screen.

Battery on the SP2 should last 6+ hours after the firmware update.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It comes down to this, do you want a traditional Ultrabook that can act as a Tablet but weighs 3.5lbs or do want a Tablet that has the power of an Ultra Book that weighs 2lbs?

If you want to do any inking you'll want the SP2 (or switch from the Yoga Pro to the ThinkPad Yoga that has an active digitizer but a smaller screen, 12.5" and will cost more)

OP
R

reach

Thanks guys!
Can you tell me more about my concern, if the SP2's screen is big enough for browsing?
With the iPad, if I'm not searching for something particular, I end up using the Notebook instead. Not sure now if this is because of the screen size, or because of the tendency to always wanting to switch to mobile sites, no flash, or because the impossibility to switch between browser tabs.
Bottomline, unless I exactly know what I'm looking for and where to find it, I always use the Notebook.

Do you use your SPs for exploring new sites and all the other stuff you would else do on a full size notebook?

D

Deleted member 10837

Thanks guys!
Can you tell me more about my concern, if the SP2's screen is big enough for browsing?
With the iPad, if I'm not searching for something particular, I end up using the Notebook instead. Not sure now if this is because of the screen size, or because of the tendency to always wanting to switch to mobile sites, no flash, or because the impossibility to switch between browser tabs.
Bottomline, unless I exactly know what I'm looking for and where to find it, I always use the Notebook.

Do you use your SPs for exploring new sites and all the other stuff you would else do on a full size notebook?

The best thing you can do is to hold one yourself in a store to assess how it looks and feels to you.

oion

The best thing you can do is to hold one yourself in a store to assess how it looks and feels to you.

^This. It's impossible to say if the screen is "big enough" because that's a highly personal assessment. I know people who are quite happy to surf the web on a phone screen, which I think is nuts, but whatever.

D1vad

Thanks guys!

I'm old and I've got bad eyes, I'm on an iPad while waiting for a surface pro 2. I do all my browsing on the iPad at the moment. I can't really say even with my bad eyes the iPad screen is too small. Are you questing the physical size of the screen? Or the amount of info that the screen can display at one time?

polbit

Thanks guys!

I know exactly what you mean, as I've been struggling with the same issue :) I have a 15" MBP and it's so nice to be able to sit down and have a large screen in front of you. When I used an iPad, I wasn't very fond of the browsing experience and would come back to the MBP for any "serious" web use.

That has changed with my SP2. Between the speed, full-PC experience and usable keyboard, I find myself using it much more often than the Mac, to a point where I started thinking about settling on a SP2 + desktop dock/large monitor compromise. It's funny that in my case Microsoft might cause a bigger shift in how I interact with my PCs than any other company. The supposedly boring, uncool Microsoft.

MoggSquad

I was also debating this myself and went with the SP2.

I have/had the original Yoga and it's the best laptop I have ever used. I often used it in stand mode (keyboard flipped back) on the couch and tablet mode when reading magazines. I had the Yoga2 pre-ordered, then it got delayed. Then I started reading about the yellow issue and a few other complaints. I decided to go with the SP2 based off of availability, positive reviews, and liking the form factor. I felt like Lenovo offering massive discounts on the launch models (up to $300 off) was a red flag that they were aware of issues with it.

The screen size is fine for me. I really like the type2 keyboard. It's better than what I was hoping for. It's nearly perfect.

If I do have one con is even though it's lite compared to a regular laptop, the 2 lbs of the SP2 is condensed and the kick stand can dig into your legs after a while due to the weight. It doesn't bother me, but I can see it being a big deal to some.

souldier

Since you're considering the Yoga 2 Pro you may also want to consider the ThinkPad Yoga coming out by the end of November. I personally decided to sell my Surface Pro and use the TP Yoga as my main machine once it is released. Here are some of my reasons why:

-Excellent ThinkPad keyboard + large palm rest. Having used the SP since its release, I am getting tired of bringing a bluetooth keyboard with me. Typing on the the keyboard covers just can't compare to a quality laptop keyboard for serious and accurate typing
-Large glass trackpad VS. small trackpad on keyboard cover
-Wacom Digitizer that is stored in a silo. I often forget my digitizer at home or end up losing it since you can't store it inside the Surface
-Larger 12.5" screen with matte finish. Less glare and text don't look as small. Also comes in 1920x1080
-Adjustable screen that rotates 360 degrees VS the 2 fixed angles of the SP2. This is another big one for me.
-More ports - 2x USB 3.0, Full SD Card Reader, etc.
-NFC
-WIFI AC support VS. ABGN
-ThinkPad durability and ruggedness
-Traditional clam shell form factor just feels more stable to me with the weight being in the bottom which I find more ideal and usable in various situations - at a desk, in bed, on my lap, etc. I often found that the Surface Pro only worked at its best on a flat desk, and even then sometimes the desk/chair height made the fixed angle of the kickstand awkward.

I really love the Surface Pro, but I can't see myself using it as my main and only machine. Here is the big question you need to ask yourself:

In MOST cases, do YOU need a tablet-like laptop (Yoga) or a laptop-like tablet (SP2)? I don't expect your use case to be the same as my own, but hopefully this will help you in your decision.

-souldier

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Comparing the Yoga 2 Pro (Best buy prices) with SP2?

1. 13.3" vs 10.6" - Which is more important to you, real estate or size. Do you run legacy apps that have been designed for larger screens (such as Access Forms or Excel Spreadsheets)? If you do, SP2 may prove a bit small.
  2. Are you looking for a tablet that can be a (sorta) ultrabook or an ultrabook that can be a (sorta) tablet? SP2 is the former and Yoga 2 Pro is the latter.
  3. Do you want unlimited viewing angles or just the 2 MS decided you need?
  4. Will you be using your device to make demonstrations to clients? If so, Yoga 2 Pro wins hands down for form factor.
  5. Do you want a full keyboard or the limited version SP2 offers?
  6. Do you want a qHD+ screen or an HD screen?
  7. Do you need a pen? (there are numerous aftermarket pens which work as well as the SP2 stylus for handwriting).
  8. On the weight thing, it is a wash. The Yoga 2 Pro is 3 pounds, not 3.5. Additionally, the SP2 is 2.5 pounds with the keyboard and over 3 pounds if you use a case (which you would be nuts not to).
  9. Do you like to view webpages in portrait? SP2 is a little small for that unless you like 2 point fonts.
  10. Surfing the web on the SP2 is more like reading a book, the Yoga 2 Pro more like a newspaper. Depends on what you prefer.
  11. Even at the high resolution, fonts on the SP2 can be a bit jaggy at times. On the Yoga 2 Pro they are immaculate.

You can pick up an i7 256GB Yoga 2 Pro at Best buy for $1199, about same price as a i5 SP2 128Gb with keyboard (value-wise, Y2P wins hands-down). If I were a doctor or a shop foreman I would probably get the SP2. If I were a businessman or a salesperson, I would get the Yoga 2 Pro. If I were an artist I would get neither and pick up a Viao Flip.

P.S., The colors issue on the Yoga 2 Pro have been solved with as simple power plan adjustment.

Last edited: