What's new

SP2 Owners, do you have a hissing/background static from the speakers/headphones?

killervette666

Hi everyone, first time poster.

Had a SP1 that I recently sold, and picked up my SP2 yesterday. When I've got my headphones plugged, and even when its just on speakers only, there is a background static/hissing noise coming from the speakers (I can hear even when volume level is at 2 with headphones, and when I turn it up to around 70 I start to easily hear it when it's just the speakers). I know that all computers emit a very quiet "whine" when they operate, but this is different because the hissing stops when I hit mute. I need to know if this is a software issue that will be patched up, or if this is a hardware problem unique to my SP2 and I will need to do a return/exchange.

Also, I should note that I have installed all the new updates. Not sure if this was happening when it was fresh out of the box or not.

Please let me know your thoughts.

hypokondriak

Hi everyone, first time poster.

Had a SP1 that I recently sold, and picked up my SP2 yesterday. When I've got my headphones plugged, and even when its just on speakers only, there is a background static/hissing noise coming from the speakers (I can hear even when volume level is at 2 with headphones, and when I turn it up to around 70 I start to easily hear it when it's just the speakers). I know that all computers emit a very quiet "whine" when they operate, but this is different because the hissing stops when I hit mute. I need to know if this is a software issue that will be patched up, or if this is a hardware problem unique to my SP2 and I will need to do a return/exchange.

Also, I should note that I have installed all the new updates. Not sure if this was happening when it was fresh out of the box or not.

Please let me know your thoughts.

This problem existed with my SP1 and also exists with my S2 so I think it's a safe assumption that this exists with every Surface. Sometimes if I spin my headphone plug I can make it a little quieter. Some type of electrical interferences was my assumption.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

mitchellvii

You can go into Sound in your Control Panel and play with various settings and see if this does not improve things. Sounds to me like you are getting some feedback from your microphone. Try turning down the gain (microphone boost).

I do not use headphones with my SP but my speakers do not hiss.

OP
K

killervette666

Thanks for your responses guys. The reason this bothers me is because my SP1 did not have this issue at all. I tried messing with all the sound settings, and even disabled the microphone, but none of it did anything. I read a few stories online that some SP1 owners had this problem and ended up doing a return and getting one that worked fine, so maybe it's the issue here.

I just chatted with their live help and they said it's most likely a hardware issue. I'm thinking I'll do a factory reset just to make sure it wasn't one of the updates that did it, but I think I might end up having to exchange it :(.

Hypokondriak: I don't know how loud your hissing is, but mine is to the point where it's bugging me quite a bit. Also, the audio seems to "garble" or "pop" at certain points when playing music. I'm thinking it's either some bad audio drivers or maybe there is an issue with the audio chipset "shrugs".

mitchellvii

It's probably a hardware problem. Just exchange it. Microsoft Stores do Warranty Exchange if you have one locally.

D

Deleted member 10837

Name Taken: Just tried, no difference..., going to try to install some realtek drivers to see if it makes a difference.

Afterwards you need to go to Playback Devices then select "Razer Surround Audio Controller" as default then you can adjust the advanced settings like equalizer.

OP
K

killervette666

I enabled Razer Surround and it didn't do anything (awesome tool though, thanks for pointing out that something like that exists!)

What did kind of work actually, was downdloading the audio codec drivers for windows7/8 from the realtek site. It actually made the noise go away by about 50%. I'm going to swing by the microsoft store near me tomorrow and see if the display SP2's do that and go from there, I will keep you guys updated. I hate being picky but when I pay over $1,000 (128gb+tax) for a device I want it to be d@#$ near perfect.

CrippsCorner

It's a real shame they haven't fixed this yet. I have this with my Surface Pro...

Thing is, it does it with one set of headphones, but not for another pair? So I'm guessing Microsoft probably wouldn't replace mine? They could just test it with a good pair and say there isn't a problem.

freetail

I have this issue with my SP3 Pro too, although never experienced this with the SP1 or SP2 Pro. I really does drive me nuts but I really don't want to have to exchange it if I can help it as (a) you usually get a refurbished device and (b) I can't stand the thought of reinstalling everything again!

I can tell you that it's not a headphone issue as the sound comes through the SP built in speakers, or via external speakers / headphones if plugged in. Comes and goes randomly - sometimes when nothing doing and I'm away from my desk, other times when I'm doing work or playing music.

It's a loud hissing, almost screeching sound that builds and then fades away - usually lasts around 30-45 secs or so.

I have disabled the mic and turned down the gain but I'm not sure that's the culprit. ANY other brilliant ideas / knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks.