What's new

SP2 Screen brightness uneven at edges, 15% - 20% dimmer at top long edge. Normal?

GoodBytes

You have exactly the same panel as mine, down to the model and ID number.
I am setting my screen as white as we speak, and while I see, after close inspection, the non-uniform back light, but that is normal for ALL (without exception) consumer grade monitors and displays.
Professional grade monitor do have uniform back light, but the monitor is, in result, much thicker, consumes more power in many cases, and well cost significantly more to include.
Already getting a back light bleeding free panel in a tablet seams to be a very difficult due to the requirement of the thinness of the display. I haven't encountered a no or even low back light bleeding tablet.

That said, it's not something I can pick up and notice like you are. The device is fairly well evenly illuminated on my side.

Last edited:
OP
P

petrol

You have exactly the same panel as mine, down to the model and ID number.
I am setting my screen as white as we speak, and while I see, after close inspection, the non-uniform back light, but that is normal for ALL (without exception) consumer grade monitors and displays.
Professional grade monitor do have uniform back light, but the monitor is, in result, much thicker, consumes more power in many cases, and well cost significantly more to include.
Already getting a back light bleeding free panel in a tablet seams to be a very difficult due to the requirement of the thinness of the display. I haven't encountered a no or even low back light bleeding tablet.

That said, it's not something I can pick up and notice like you are. The device is fairly well evenly illuminated on my side.

Thx for taking the time, I appreciate it. Your explanation makes sense. I have to say, though, my inspection of the Venue 11 Pro and 8 Pro panels at three stores shows no visible backlight unevenness or diminished edges, same with my Nexus 7 and Lumia 920. Nor any other panels at the Microsoft store.

Ultimately I think you're probably right that Microsoft made some decisions and trade offs for power consumption and cost and thinness in choosing these Samsung panels. And probability the right ones as this long edge light fall off is not causing complaints... as a photographer I am paying top dollar for my machine for client viewing, and I notice these things more; I expected the best panel and I didn't get it.

But the high end Venue 11 Pro isn't an option due to its never ending bugs. Can't have everything!

djangomango

I also have the uneven brightness, specifically along the top right edge. It's a bit annoying... I'm also a photographer.

If I recall correctly the banding issue is actually not solved automatically from the March update, but now is solvable. You have to go in the Intel Control Panel (which is now provided since the March firmware upgrade) and go under:
Power > 'On Battery', and disable: "Display Power Saving Technology"
(which results in no reduction of battery life, as all it did was play with the colors, and act like dynamic contrast ratio, and not actually do anything helpful).

I disabled the Display Power Saving Technology option in the Intel Control Panel, but I'm still getting banding (tested here Gradient (banding) - Lagom LCD test)
I also tried your fix in your surface pro tweak tool... no dice. Any ideas?

djangomango

Restart your system, does that help?

I have, numerous times, banding still present. This is only with the SP2 driver, though. Previously I had the official Intel driver installed with no banding issues, but I accidentally went back to the SP2 driver in windows update.
I would love to be able to use the SP2 driver if I could get rid of the banding! Not sure why it's not working.

GoodBytes

We can try something, but they are chances that things can go wrong and require a system re-install/refresh. It should not, but I have no guaranty on this. So backup your stuff.

If you are interested let me know, and I'll PM you.

GoodBytes

And what if your graphic card drivers? You have it displayed on Surface Tweak Tool under System information section.

I have 10.18.10.3431 on my side.

djangomango

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Just backed up important stuff.
I also have 10.18.10.3431.
Sorry for hijacking the thread

OP
P

petrol

And what if your graphic card drivers? You have it displayed on Surface Tweak Tool under System information section.

I have 10.18.10.3431 on my side.

I have the same driver version as you list, dated 2/20/2014.

thx for your help. and regarding the method you say might work, I think I'll pass. Thanks again though!