What's new

SP2 System Freeze and No Display

DNP

Hello;

Was curious if this sounds like “normal” behavior for the SP2?

Yesterday afternoon, I plugged in my SP2 to recharge. It charged for about an hour or so and then it appeared to not want to wake up from sleeping? Then I detached/reattached the Type Cover 2 and pressed the power button a few times, but nothing seemed to happen. Then I realized the SP2 was actually “On”, but the display was not (totally black screen, but I could still feel the vibration when touching the Windows logo).

At that point, I held the power button down for several seconds until it turned-off and powered back up (and it took a while to do so…maybe a few minutes). When it finally reached the desktop I noticed the time was off by about 2:30 hours, but the date was still correct (the time is set to auto-update…and I don’t think I was abducted this time either). Also, the battery meter indicated only about 3hrs, but the charge was at 100%. And the MSN homepage started to “not respond” (the touchpad becomes disabled and an error message indicates the webpage needs to be recovered, but then it settles down and the message disappears…seems to be specific to msn.com?).

Does this sound familiar? I was thinking of either refreshing or doing the factory reset, but only as a last resort.

Thanks for any input (and belated thanks for all of the assistance this forum has provided).

David

Machine specs: (Surface Pro 2, 128G, i5-4200U, Lot #1342, purchased Jan. 2014, all updates installed, Type Cover 2)

mennogreg

You can try a hard reset; this completely powers off the Surface Pro instead of the quasi-hibernate a shut down does (from my understanding, anyone feel free to correct me), and allows you to keep your data intact.

Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 won?t turn on | Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 won?t turn on |

Use the two-button shutdown method. I've used the above method to correct some weird issues I was having, like computer powering on when its on sleep constantly, incorrect battery meter levels, and having it power off when attaching the keyboard.

Last edited:
OP
D

DNP

You can try a hard reset; this completely powers off the Surface Pro instead of the quasi-hibernate a shut down does (from my understanding, anyone feel free to correct me), and allows you to keep your data intact.

Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 won?t turn on | Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 won?t turn on |

Use the two-button shutdown method. I've used the above method to correct some weird issues I was having, like computer powering on when its on sleep constantly, incorrect battery meter levels, and having it power off when attaching the keyboard.

Thank you for the reply. I had actually used the two-button shutdown the day before to see if it would help alleviate some of the touchpad issues I've been having. Then I started to think that using the alternate shutdown method perhaps created the issues noted in today's post, but probably not. Maybe I'll try it again to see if anything different happens. Thanks again for the input.

David