What's new

SP2 vs SP3 for drawing

So I have a SP2 i5/256, if I upgrade to either the i5/256 or i7/256, how good is the new pen input for drawing?

I use mostly Photoshop, and SAI. I installed the waycom driver so I can use the pressure in the Photoshop. The only issue I hate is the pen can be almost 1/8th in off in the top left corner so clicking on the small menus can be a pain.

Is the new pen any different? Especially since they released the new update for the pen? Can you really tell the difference in pen pressure from 1024 down to 256?

godson594

I have owned both and prefer the Wacom over the N-Trig....

Typography for me was much better on the SP2... I didn't have the Sp3 with the latest update however so maybe it's improved...

bluegrass

I have heard glowing reports from people using the new Photoshop CC on an SP3 for real work. I have also read that the pen on the SP3 inks right where the pen touches the screen. I've used the pen but I haven't used if for anything serious and I'm definitely not an artist so I can only tell you what I've read here on the forum. Wacom definitely is not the way to go if you're an SP Pro user.

Maximus3D

It depends a bit on your artistic style, your requirements and your expectations.

Considering the Surface Pro 3 has only 256 pressure levels to work with you 'might' notice the lack of variation in some lines you draw at the thick and thin end of your strokes. But to be honest i haven't really noticed much of it during my sketching on the SP3.

Use the Surface Pro 3 as a portable sketching device and finalize your artwork at home, that's my best suggestion and recommendation. Then you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing anything.

/ Magnus

Trifaldean

It depends a bit on your artistic style, your requirements and your expectations.

Use the Surface Pro 3 as a portable sketching device and finalize your artwork at home, that's my best suggestion and recommendation. Then you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing anything.

/ Magnus

I agree. You should sketch with the SP3 and finalize at home. I was working on a painting on my Surface Pro 3 and pulled it up on my home rig to work on with my Intuos3. Wow. I the breadth of pressure variation is immediately evident with tools like the airbrush. It's just so much easier to get what you want out of the brush with that much variation.