What's new

SP2 Wall Mount accessory

PaulC2K

Does anyone know of a wall mounting solution for the Surface Pro?

I bought a Dockem Koala having seen Surface in a description from someone selling them on ebay a while back, but the Pro is too thick to slot in. Im not sure if i wasnt paying attention and its fine for RT but not Pro, or it was when i hadnt quite realised the differences between RT and Pro and wasnt looking at the pro's at the time so it wasnt an issue.
Koala Damage-free iPad Wall Mount

20006-10T.jpg
Theres a raised lip which definitely blocks the Pro from fitting inside, which i plan to take a dremel to, and it should slide in. The other issue is that the side blocks the charging point, however what i realised was that i can turn the device 180', flipping it upside-down, let the screen rotate, and then ive got the charging socket on the top left rather than the bottom right. So i think with a little bit of work it should be doable.

Still, there doesnt appear to be a thread in here for wall mounting (going on all the thread titles and a site search for 'wall mount') but i'd be interested in hearing if there was another accessory on the market which is either purpose built for the Pro or is fully compatible.

oion

Well, there are plenty of wall mounts on Amazon that I can see, but a use case would help. Maybe go for a laptop mount instead of something designed for an iPad (yeah, the Pro is much bigger).

OP
P

PaulC2K

Okay no one has asked and I have to, why would you want to mount a surface on the wall?

Its a fair question, the reason for the purchase might seem daft to many, but essentially as a day to day purpose, its mounted bed-side so it allows me to access a web browser and email. Theres plenty of tablets (the RT included) which would allow that, however i work from home, spend the majority of the day sat infront of a PC so thats my workhorse. When i jump in bed and watch some TV its handy to have access to a browser. Thats still not enough to justify a £800 purchase, but the reason i spent the difference is because of health issues, im a kidney transplant patient and one day it will fail and that will leave me in hospital for around a month, bored out of my mind, and completely useless to the people who depend on me. What the Surface Pro offers me is the function and power of a laptop, with the form factor and simplicity of a tablet. I cant code on an ipad, i cant mount a laptop on my wall and use it to quickly check a few things. Its no use falling ill and then buying a laptop because nothing is installed, and i dont want to buy a pad and a laptop (which will sit somewhere doing nothing, hopefully for a long time).

Its essentially an emergency plan, which exceeds the functions i'd like available to me today for day to day stuff.
So the wall mount is basically where it'll sit most of the time, with the ability to pick it up and walk away with it, and somewhere it can site and look presentable till its needed.

The only solutions ive seen so far are clamps or adhesive fittings attached to the surface and the opposing part attached to the wall. What the dockem offers is essentially perfect in every sense... if only it fit. Its simple, cheap, and doesnt require screwing to the wall or attaching something semi-permanently to the tablet.

Im wondering if 'wall mount' is possibly misleading, i have wall mounted monitors and thats not what i want for the Surface, i basically want something that'll hold the device like this:
20006-8T.jpg
If theres a better term, maybe it'd help me locate something perfect. I'll be modding the Dockem Koala tomorrow hopefully, and if it works i'll try and post some pics.

oion

That makes a lot of sense. It's future-proofing in a way.

Does it have to be the wall? There are a couple table mounts I can see designed for laptops (and should thus easily fit the Pro). "Arm" seems to be another keyword.

Amazon.com: Gator G-ARM 360-DESKMT Mountable Arm for Laptop, Tablet and Monitor: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Single Laptop / Notebook Desk Mount / Stand Fully Adjustable Extension with Clamp STAND-V001L (by VIVO): Office Products
This is for tablets and says the bracket things for holding the tablet expand to 0.875", which should be theoretically enough for the Pro:
Amazon.com: LapWorks Armbot Bed and Desk Mount for Posing Your iPad or Tablets For Easy and Relaxed Viewing: MP3 Players & Accessories

Though looking at those... honestly I think a heavy-duty music stand and padded c-clamps might work out fine too. Low-tech and usable in other locations.

Good luck!

OP
P

PaulC2K

Well, anything on an arm is a bit more clunky than im looking for, though i do like the idea of plonking myself into bed, watching some TV and having that extended out infront of me :D
The music stand is closer perhaps, i think the issue is that like i said, the Dockem item would be perfect if there was a version with the Surface Pro in mind. Hopefully modding it to remove the upper lip, which im guessing makes a tablet easier to get hold of to remove, and then it should fit flush, i just need to flip it so its upside-down for the power connection.

Modding a Surface protective case is another option, i just dont think it looks as clean and tidy as the Dockem would, and attempting to build my own from polycarbonate is likely to end up with something unimpressive too. Its been stood on a narrow shelf at the side of my bed so far, and thats not too bad, but i tend to use it to put packets of biscuits and stuff on there for night time snacking :D and now theres no room.

I'll find my solution eventually, im just a tad disappointed the perfect solution arrived and i cant even get it in there which as-is makes it a useless solution.

oion

Well, anything on an arm is a bit more clunky than im looking for, though i do like the idea of plonking myself into bed, watching some TV and having that extended out infront of me :D
The music stand is closer perhaps, i think the issue is that like i said, the Dockem item would be perfect if there was a version with the Surface Pro in mind. Hopefully modding it to remove the upper lip, which im guessing makes a tablet easier to get hold of to remove, and then it should fit flush, i just need to flip it so its upside-down for the power connection.

Modding a Surface protective case is another option, i just dont think it looks as clean and tidy as the Dockem would, and attempting to build my own from polycarbonate is likely to end up with something unimpressive too. Its been stood on a narrow shelf at the side of my bed so far, and thats not too bad, but i tend to use it to put packets of biscuits and stuff on there for night time snacking :D and now theres no room.

I'll find my solution eventually, im just a tad disappointed the perfect solution arrived and i cant even get it in there which as-is makes it a useless solution.

Speaking of cases, there are cases available to the Pro with a handle/grip on the back. What about hanging that from something?