What's new

SP2 Warranty Exchanges

jamesk

Anyone know if MS is replacing warranty exchanges with new in retail box SP2's or are they shipping refurbished units?

I was wondering the same exact thing. And if they're sending replacements with 4300 CPUs.

Have thought about turning in my SP2 with screen brightness, overheating and battery issues but don't want to get a refurbished one back.

Ruffles

I haven't had my SP2 replaced but I did have my SP1 replaced twice. Both times, the unit came in a brown box and was absolutely flawless in every way. I think they were new units. I did purchase a refurbished Surface RT for my wife and it came in a retail box with a refurbish label on the outside of the box and a refurbish sticker under the kickstand. When I registered her device on myservice.surface.com, it said hers was not covered by warranty (to be expected). Both my replacement SP1's both showed warranty coverage.

Genie

I spoke with microsoft after december update causing lot of issues and guy said that they have set of stock that's seperate ones they send to retail and if I returned one due to cosmatic defect from being opened previously (slight chip) I probably wouldn't be happy with warranty exchange which to me implies it's refurbished. This is UK btw.

What are your stories of sending your devices to MSFT for a replacement? Did you do it online or over the phone? And how painful is the process?

Also, I'm seeing mixed opinions... does anyone know if they're sending back new 4300s or old refurbished devices?

Ruffles

I bought my SP1 on launch day. The keyboard stopped working 3 days later. MS practically begged me to exchange it and so I started the process since Best Buy didn't have any stock to exchange it. It was supposed to be an advanced exchange but since stock was low even for MS, 2.5 weeks went by and they still hadn't shipped it. I was at Best Buy again and they happened to have some so I did an exchange with them. 2 days later, my replacement from MS showed up so I just returned it to them.

The second time I replaced it was about 7 months later. The fans started making noises. I started a chat session with a surface tech who initiated the advanced replacement. The new unit arrived 2 days later and I did the swap. On both occasions, the replacement units where in perfect, flawless, condition. In each case MS was very friendly and willing to replace the unit. I didn't feel like I had to convince them or anything like that. While I was frustrated to need replacements, I understand that things happen and they did they best they could so I'm happy.

CrippsCorner

What are your stories of sending your devices to MSFT for a replacement? Did you do it online or over the phone? And how painful is the process?

Also, I'm seeing mixed opinions... does anyone know if they're sending back new 4300s or old refurbished devices?

Done mine via http://myservice.surface.com and although the process went okay in the end, the website is a pain to use. Multiple crashes, random log outs and no where to edit card details (all of these things occurred across multiple browsers)

tinycg

I processed my warranty exchange online today after both local MS stores nearby had no stock to exchange it. One offered to call me when they get new SP2 256s in but he said he hasn't seen 256s in over 3 weeks. That did not fill me with confidence that I'd get one soon. I guess we'll find out if we get a new one or not. I too had issues with the site, and spent a nice hour and a half with MS after they put a hold on multiple cards. That was cool. Hopefully the rest of the process goes smoothly. I'd like a 4300U but if I got a stable non-crashing SP2 4200u that worked I guess I could live with that.

Done mine via http://myservice.surface.com and although the process went okay in the end, the website is a pain to use. Multiple crashes, random log outs and no where to edit card details (all of these things occurred across multiple browsers)

What version did they send you back?

I processed my warranty exchange online today after both local MS stores nearby had no stock to exchange it. One offered to call me when they get new SP2 256s in but he said he hasn't seen 256s in over 3 weeks. That did not fill me with confidence that I'd get one soon. I guess we'll find out if we get a new one or not. I too had issues with the site, and spent a nice hour and a half with MS after they put a hold on multiple cards. That was cool. Hopefully the rest of the process goes smoothly. I'd like a 4300U but if I got a stable non-crashing SP2 4200u that worked I guess I could live with that.

Keep us updated!

tinycg

I got the sense that kayzee also submitted his service order recently. I'll keep people updated, not sure how long it will take. Would have rather gotten it replaced in store with a new one but I think either way its a crap shoot right now. Mine started having charging issues which what forced my hand... and no this is without the dec firmware, I'm just that lucky haha.