What's new

SP2017 i5 won't upload on home network

guylfe

Every other device on the network works, and the SP works fine on every other network. To be clear - it connects to the network and downloads fine, but the upload speed on speedtest is either zero or the test tells me that my firewall is blocking it (it isn't, and it only says so periodically when I run the test).
Anyone have any idea what I might do to solve this? It has become a huge hindrance.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you don’t have a static IP address specified for DNS or proxy. This can happen if you have connected to a corporate network via WiFi or Ethernet cable, or even a hotel network via Ethernet.

Make sure IPV4 and IPV6 addresses are automatic.

If no joy, we will continue to try to get you fixed up, @guylfe

OP
G

guylfe

I checked through ipconfig and it says I don't have a static IP address. I even reset the network entirely and it still didn't fix it.
Unless I misunderstood you.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

Now start Device Manager, find the network adapter, and Uninstall it. Also remove the driver. Then immediately reboot by holding the power button for 30 seconds.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about that.

I know it works on other networks, as you stated. But I would try changing your channel on the WiFi network which is associated with the SP17 trouble, just in case your particular arrangement / SP radio / neighborhood has some interference.

Channel congestion and interference is especially possible in apartments, dormitories, condominiums, and the like.

Try channel 6 or 9 or 10 or 11.

OP
G

guylfe

How do I do that? By the way, it's right next to the router at the moment, and the only other device in the room using the network is my desktop computer, which is connected by ethernet, so if the congestion you're talking about has a physical aspect to it I highly doubt that's what it is.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You must log in to your router with the administrator password, then make changes to the channel.

How is upload speed when the SP17 is connected via Ethernet? (You need a USZB to Ethernet adapter for this).

Interference is not usually dependent upon proximity to the router. It is not a distance thing, it is a frequency thing.