What's new

SP3 and Windows 9 aka Threshold

kristalsoldier

I was reading through an article (linked below). In it, I came across an interesting few lines, which are quoted hereunder:

The only question is what all this means for hybrid devices such as the Surface Pro 3 and Lenovo ThinkPad 10. This is just speculation, but it seems likely that Intel-based hybrids—especially larger models—will get the desktop-centric version of Windows with the option to enable some tablet-friendly features.

While noting the fact that the author of the article readily says that this is purely speculative, I am wondering if you folks have any observations, comments, conjectures, or perhaps some insights from whatever source to share with me/ us.

We have all read of the problems - some exaggerated and others legitimate/ understandable - associated with the dual nature of Win 8.1. Personally, I have no problem with the MUI side of things co-existing with the desktop. Switching between the two - for me - is easy and, in most situations, is intuitive. Maybe I've just got used to it. And, certainly the 8.1 update did help a lot. Of course, there are some jagged edges - like, for example, accessing some of the system tweak elements that lie buried in the desktop side of things etc. I have yet to find any information that suggests that this state of affairs has been and will be resolved by the time Win 9 is released.

So, my question is this: How would Windows 9 work with our SP3s?

Here is the link to the article from which the above-quoted section appears: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2683725/windows-9-rumor-roundup-everything-we-know-so-far.html

wynand32

I doubt that hybrids will be assigned the desktop-centric environment by default. I don't know how Microsoft will determine what kind of machine something is, but I'd say the existence of a touchscreen, at least, would be relevant.

However, I'm willing to bet that whatever Microsoft does, it will be relatively easy to turn features on and off. For example, the Start screen might be turned off by default on whatever's considered a "desktop" machine, but there will be a toggle to turn it back on. I'm guessing the same will be true for small machines like the Dell Venue 8 Pro--desktop mode might be turned off by default (maybe, although I doubt it for Intel machines), but I'd bet anything it'll be possible to turn it back on.

I think Microsoft won't shoot themselves in the foot by killing the dual-use nature of machines like the SP3.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I certainly hope so. I also hope that MS does not fall into the either/or trap - either use the MUI environment OR use the desktop environment - that would be really counter-productive especially where devices like the SP3 is concerned. Don't you think so?

compnovo

Although I'm new to the SP3 I've been an RT owner since their release, and I want to retain the dual interface of Desktop and MUI. When I'm in work mode I stay exclusively on the desktop where the Office apps are, using the keyboard. Conversely, when I'm in play mode I live in the MUI, using the touch screen. Some critics call that "schizophrenic" (a more accurate name would be MPD unless their tablet is hearing voices. Or they are.). I however like the delineation. Maybe is just because I'm so used to it now.
I'll probably try the Win9 beta on my desktop first since it's easy to roll back if I'm not happy with the changes (or I screw something up), and wait for the final release before I install it on my still-under-warranty SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems to me from what I'm hearing so far just as Microsoft was getting Surface with Windows 8.1 sorted out and getting traction they are going to fumble on the 10 yard line and lose the ball. :(

wynand32

When I'm in work mode I stay exclusively on the desktop where the Office apps are, using the keyboard. Conversely, when I'm in play mode I live in the MUI, using the touch screen. Some critics call that "schizophrenic" (a more accurate name would be MPD unless their tablet is hearing voices. Or they are.). I however like the delineation. Maybe is just because I'm so used to it now.

Actually, this is a great time to mention (again) that there's nothing "schizophrenic" about this at all (jokes aside). I really don't get why people take exactly the same transition from desktop UI to mobile UI in Windows 8.1 and treat it so differently when it's being done between OS X/Windows and iOS/Android. Only difference is it's all being done on the same machine.

Seriously, if someone has a MacBook Air for "serious" work and they switch to an iPad for media consumption and such, the transition between UIs is just as jarring. Why a machine like the SP3 is penalized for exactly the same kind of transition is beyond me.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Actually, this is a great time to mention (again) that there's nothing "schizophrenic" about this at all (jokes aside). I really don't get why people take exactly the same transition from desktop UI to mobile UI in Windows 8.1 and treat it so differently when it's being done between OS X/Windows and iOS/Android. Only difference is it's all being done on the same machine.

Seriously, if someone has a MacBook Air for "serious" work and they switch to an iPad for media consumption and such, the transition between UIs is just as jarring. Why a machine like the SP3 is penalized for exactly the same kind of transition is beyond me.

I agree though I will add that MS could (and probably will over time) make the movement between the two environments more...how shall I put it...smooth (not necessarily seamless, which it does not really have to be).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 9 will be very customizable allowing for Desktop or Tablet Mode, the release of the Preview on 9/30 will most likely be limited to the Desktop UI version of the system as it is targeted to Enterprise IT BDMs and TDMs

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Windows 9 will be very customizable allowing for Desktop or Tablet Mode, the release of the Preview on 9/30 will most likely be limited to the Desktop UI version of the system as it is targeted to Enterprise IT BDMs and TDMs

Jeff...I agree with one caveat...your use of the word "or"...that is precisely what I am fearing that MS may end up doing. One "pure" tablets, the MUI works. One desktop machines, the Desktop UI works, but what about the SP3? I hope it is not the case that when the Type Cover is pulled off we will be offered the MUI and when it is attached, the SP3 gets locked into the Desktop UI...if you know what I mean!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff...I agree with one caveat...your use of the word "or"...that is precisely what I am fearing that MS may end up doing. One "pure" tablets, the MUI works. One desktop machines, the Desktop UI works, but what about the SP3? I hope it is not the case that when the Type Cover is pulled off we will be offered the MUI and when it is attached, the SP3 gets locked into the Desktop UI...if you know what I mean!
What I mean by or is that for large 2 and 1 devices it will be an experience much like Windows 8.x if you chose, but it will be the reverse, defaults to desktop and you will select the fill screen Start Menu, etc. But I also believe that when it RTMs it will detect the system.

ARM and SST ATOM will be the SKU you're thinking of that doesn't have the desktop....

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

What I mean by or is that for large 2 and 1 devices it will be an experience much like Windows 8.x if you chose, but it will be the reverse, defaults to desktop and you will select the fill screen Start Menu, etc. But I also believe that when it RTMs it will detect the system.

ARM and SST ATOM will be the SKU you're thinking of that doesn't have the desktop....

And, for devices like the SP3 there will essentially be no change from the current behaviour?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And, for devices like the SP3 there will essentially be no change from the current behaviour?
I wouldn't go that far....there will be changes in behavior and refinements. If we see the Sept. 30 Preview Release as expected, it will be an early build and many things will change between it in the expected January 30 Public Preview (Which should include ARM and ATOM SST Options). I can let you know October 1 what it looks like :D