What's new

SP3 as a Tablet Replacement?

gman713

I've been thinking about downgrading from my SP2 512GB to the SP3 128gb version. I have a 128 gb microsd card for storing movies and games. I really want to know what the experience is like reading comics from the Marvel Unlimited app in portrait mode on the SP3? It is not a good experience on the SP2 due to the long form in portrait plus the weight. Does the SP3 feel similar to using a tablet like the ipad air? I don't use my SP2 when reading in bed because it just feels to much like a laptop versus a tablet. I'm not sure if that makes sense but wanted to see if SP3 owners feel it's a good replacement as a tablet for reading.

Kris

I don't read comics but read long PDF files, gaming manuals and such, all the time. The SP3 works great for them. Don't know if that helps but I love using it to read on.

Metalman

I went from a SP1 to a SP3, and I can tell you that the SP3 is way better.
I read books (Kindle) and magazines (Nook) in portrait.

malberttoo

I've been thinking about downgrading from my SP2 512GB to the SP3 128gb version. I have a 128 gb microsd card for storing movies and games. I really want to know what the experience is like reading comics from the Marvel Unlimited app in portrait mode on the SP3? It is not a good experience on the SP2 due to the long form in portrait plus the weight. Does the SP3 feel similar to using a tablet like the ipad air? I don't use my SP2 when reading in bed because it just feels to much like a laptop versus a tablet. I'm not sure if that makes sense but wanted to see if SP3 owners feel it's a good replacement as a tablet for reading.

SP3 with its 3:2 aspect ratio is far superior IMHO to just about anything else, and no question it's a better experience in portrait for reading than the SP2 with its 16:9 aspect ratio. 3:2 is wider and allows the stuff on your screen to be larger.

Last edited:

rubaxter

I've been thinking about downgrading from my SP2 512GB to the SP3 128gb version. ...

Surface 3 could do just as well for less money. You'd still have the Pro for work, if you need it, but the Surface 3 is fine for documents.

Have a Surface 3 for reading and the bedstand (e.g., clock functions and multimedia), and I find I'm using the Pro3 less and less now that I got a MacBook Pro with SSD that does everything the Pro3 does, but with a far more stable form and a beautiful screen.

JoshB

Don't try putting your MacBook Pro in tablet mode, it doesn't function yet, still buggy. Tried it on my friends and he had to return it because the screen wouldn't come on.

Hehe, I kid. Couldn't help myself :)

On topic though, The Surface 3 might be a better choice if you mainly use it for reading. Only get the SP3 if you are looking for some power.

I have loved my SP3, being able to play a lot of games and have the power to run my 3D software.

lparsons21

For me it depends on where i'm reading. If I'm in a chair/recliner, then the SP3 is just fine and I do it quite a bit. But if I'm in bed reading I use my iPad Air2 because it is lighter and smaller. And if I'm really feeling lazy in bed, I use the Nook e-ink reader.

RémiM

Hum, are you speaking of the Surface Pro 3 or the Surface 3.

The Pro 3 is far away from being like an iPad Air, in every aspect, size and weight included.

As a tablet, that can be used as a light computer if needed, the Surface 3 is the best choice.

The Pro 3 is more like a computer that can be used as a tablet if needed. This is one of the reason why I sold mine and bought the Surface 3.

OP
G

gman713

Yeah, I can see the Surface 3 as a good ipad substitute for just reading and light productivity stuff. I guess I was thinking the SP3 would be a good compromise between the SP2 and the ipad but it sounds like it's neither. I just wanted to have my phone (S6 edge) and one hybrid device for reading, watching videos, Netflix, HBO, productivity and gaming (Diablo 3, COD, etc ). I have a gaming desktop but usually use my SP2 for gaming on the go and pick up where I left off on my desktop. I basically use my SP2 more as a laptop but was hoping the SP3 would fit in the middle like an ipad/laptop.