What's new

SP3 becomes hot even with simple applications

DominikL

Hello,

since the update to Windows 10 I noticed that my SP3 fan turned much quicker and more often than using Windows 8.1. Obviously, the device becomes much hotter than before.
First I thought this might be the result of some background operations after the update (index of update for Windows search, ...), but consulting the task manager, my SP3 is not working on any background tasks and the problem persists even after some days ruuning on Windows 10.
Even simple applications like the new Solitair game result in annoying fan noise and high temperature. I cannot remember that my SP3 was heating so quickly under 8.1.

Has anyone noticed a similar behaviour on his device? Any ideas how to identify the cause of the overheating? Is there any possibility to trade coolness for performance, e.g. by reducing the maximal frequency of processors?

Best regards
Dominik

Achristocat

I was on W10 as well for 5 days and this happened to me A LOT. I tried to look for things to make it better as well. I am back on 8.1 now, but in my investigations, I discovered a page WAYYYYYY deep in the Settings page (Start, Settings, Privacy - Scroll down to Background Apps) and there were 20 programs just clicking away in the background for...some reason? Why the hell does Sudoku need to run in the background? Amazon? Background wallpapers? Yeah...turned all of THOSE off and about 15 more...All of those may have been sucking battery, but Still didn't seem to help very much.

I had Cortana running for a couple of days...boy did that eat my CPU AND suck down the battery and only really worked about 1 in 4 times, so I turned it off too.

..but, like you, I never DID find one overall culprit for the heat / battery issue which is why I went back to 8.1. I hope you have better luck than I. I WANT to be on W10, but I am gong to wait for a couple updates down the road before trying again.

On a desktop plugged into the wall all the time? All of this would not be noticeable, but on our tablets? Yeah...Not the best implementation.

Julian

I think this is the same issue with battery life and the interrup service jumping to over 20%,etc (a few of the current top posts).

I am also having issues with battery life, and also the SP3 not properly going into sleep. After about 4 hours, when it was supposed to go into the "deeper sleep" like in win8.1, my simply shutdowns or crashes, and it does not resume when its brought back on.

Oddly enough though, I have found under the sleep settings "hibernate" as an option, which I thought we could not access unless we install hyper-v in windows.

GoodBytes

The problem is driver related. Many hardware manufacture worked on their drivers at the last minute and rushed something out for Win10 release. On any system, expect things crashing silently, sleep/wakeup issues, and hardware not power saving right. I know that Intel is having serious issues with this, to a point where Microsoft sent an engineer team to help the company. However, no information when newer/better drivers will be released for any manufacture, but I assume it will be out shortly, which means a new firmware maybe end of the month or next. We have to wait and see, and cross of fingers for manufacture to figure it out in a timely manner. And yes, of course, newer hardware gets priority first. The SP3 is over a year old in terms of hardware released by manufactures so the wait shouldn't be long, but expect that manufactures already release 1 or even 2 new product generation by now.