What's new

SP3 constant fan

Alexgpl

Hi to everyone, this is my first post.
I am pretty desperate with my SP3 i7 256. Windows 8.1, fully updated. Since some weeks the fan is constantly running. Even now writing this, with CPU around 8-12% in battery mode, the fan is running.
Time ago the fan started, ok, depending on the task, but it wasn't a constant annoying presence.
And battery life went down.
There aren't strange processes, load goes from 10 to 30% but CPU temp doesn't move under 50 °C. Fan always activated.
Could it be dust? Or maybe a fresh windows install could help it?

Thanks a lot

tarrant64

Some people claim a fresh install works, but I just returned an i7 for an i5 in favor of "less" fan noise, but it still happens. :/ You can try and go through an exchange with Microsoft support and see if that works out for you.

I notice the fan more so when I have the power plugged in, but even watching youtube while mobile or anything can cause it to go off. The i5 isn't as bad so I settled for that and saved some money for the dock and other accessorries. The i7 was flat out obnoxious for me.

OP
A

Alexgpl

30% is a peak, I have just rebooted now and load is under 10% but fan throttles. Not maximum speed but it doesn't stop.
It wasn't like this for the first 4 months!
I'm using Firefox, Chrome melts the CPU and IE is super bugged.

Liam2349

30% is a peak, I have just rebooted now and load is under 10% but fan throttles. Not maximum speed but it doesn't stop.
It wasn't like this for the first 4 months!
I'm using Firefox, Chrome melts the CPU and IE is super bugged.

Have you always been using Firefox? Are you using different extensions in Firefox? Are you using any other software?

EpilEpic

I had the same problem, uninstalling Chrome did it for me, fan only works at high resource programs and my battery life almost tripled.
However now I'm stuck on IE and I absolutely hate it, I miss all the functionality...What's the best browser to use with some of the chrome functions but without the battery drain and fan activation?

I'm guessing a clean instal would only make sence if you don't reïnstall all the programs you are running now, if you are doing that I don't really see what could be different since from what I've read till now the fan problem is mainly caused by 3th party software...

leeshor

Firefox DPI scaling can be adjusted pretty easily which make it a good option. Besides I (because of my business) have my hands on Chrome and IE a lot and I still use FF as my default.

OP
A

Alexgpl

Have you always been using Firefox? Are you using different extensions in Firefox? Are you using any other software?
Firefox plugins:
- open h264
- office 2013
- shockwave flash
And extensions:
- adobe acrobat create pdf
- downloadhelper but deactivated

SeeVuPlay

Man, my fan is running and load.....nothing is open, nothing running in background....its plugged in. this started happening about 2 months ago