What's new

SP3 constant fan

RémiM

Man, my fan is running and load.....nothing is open, nothing running in background....its plugged in. this started happening about 2 months ago

[off topic = on]

is your name for "s'il vous plait" in french. Like, "s'il vous plait" said with an english accent ?!

If yes, well done ;)

[off topic = off]

Liam2349

Firefox plugins:
- open h264
- office 2013
- shockwave flash
And extensions:
- adobe acrobat create pdf
- downloadhelper but deactivated

If this is the same as it's always been, it must be some other software you are running, or even some kind of virus.

What antivirus are you running?

Also you should look at everything that is running when you have this issue.

When nothing is running, do you noticed your CPU AND Disk usage drop to 0%? On my i5, when nothing is running, both CPU and Disk drops to 0, which is normal.

If your CPU and/or Disk does not drop to 0 even though you aren't running anything, something is not right and that would explain the constant fan running.

Check the processes to which ones are running when you don't have any application running. I had Windows Installer Worker process that was constantly running and causing high battery drain and fan noise. I ran the Windows Installer trouble shooter and it fixed it for me.

OP
A

Alexgpl

If this is the same as it's always been, it must be some other software you are running, or even some kind of virus.

Microsoft Defender... I wanted something light. Anyway this started since one month

OP
A

Alexgpl

When nothing is running, do you noticed your CPU AND Disk usage drop to 0%? On my i5, when nothing is running, both CPU and Disk drops to 0, which is normal.

If your CPU and/or Disk does not drop to 0 even though you aren't running anything, something is not right and that would explain the constant fan running.

Check the processes to which ones are running when you don't have any application running. I had Windows Installer Worker process that was constantly running and causing high battery drain and fan noise. I ran the Windows Installer trouble shooter and it fixed it for me.
CPU is around 3%,let's say 1.5% close the draining Skype and considering Dropbox, Google Drive and others

SeeVuPlay

[off topic = on]

is your name for "s'il vous plait" in french. Like, "s'il vous plait" said with an english accent ?!

If yes, well done ;)

[off topic = off]

Yes that is correct sir!, my name is Vu. I took French in H.S. When I was playing soccer, my classmates were also at a few games, and they were yelling "s'il vous plait"......So that stuck with me, even 2 decades later.

OP
A

Alexgpl

Ok, I am convinced to do a fresh install. Stupid question... what about the windows licence, where can I get the code (it's the first time that I do it with W8.1 and I am abroad without SP3 box)?

Thanks

Felyne

Ok, I am convinced to do a fresh install. Stupid question... what about the windows licence, where can I get the code (it's the first time that I do it with W8.1 and I am abroad without SP3 box)?

Thanks

The good thing is: you don't need one! As far as I know, your windows licence key is saved in the Bios and Windows detects it automaticly.
So the only thing you have to do is to press "refresh" under pc settings. :)

surfacetab3

Some people claim a fresh install works, but I just returned an i7 for an i5 in favor of "less" fan noise, but it still happens. :/ You can try and go through an exchange with Microsoft support and see if that works out for you.

I notice the fan more so when I have the power plugged in, but even watching youtube while mobile or anything can cause it to go off. The i5 isn't as bad so I settled for that and saved some money for the dock and other accessorries. The i7 was flat out obnoxious for me.

Tarrant64 - Besides fan noise, any noticable difference in performance going from i7 to i5? Did you stay with the 8GB ram version?