What's new

SP3 Dock mDP limitation? (miniDP to DP)

Enrico D.

I sold after 1 hour my docking... after have read the report of other users here.

It's a shame that Microsoft sell to us untested devices, because of this we should speak, an hardware that is faulty or not able to be at the same level of the device itself specs.

We have to wait...... next hardware I think.

HvT

Not sure if that applies here. I have no Dock for the SP3 available. But I struggled with my Dell Laptop+Dell Monitor some time ago. The problem was the mDP-DP cable. The one from Dell worked, but no other. HDMI was fine, too, but did not allow resolutions higher than full HD.
Search the web for Display Port Pin 20 problem. I bought a Lenovo cable, that one worked.

agt499

Not sure if that applies here. I have no Dock for the SP3 available. But I struggled with my Dell Laptop+Dell Monitor some time ago. The problem was the mDP-DP cable. The one from Dell worked, but no other. HDMI was fine, too, but did not allow resolutions higher than full HD.
Search the web for Display Port Pin 20 problem. I bought a Lenovo cable, that one worked.
Correct -it's another variable to watch out for. The only mDP-DP cables at my local retailers were generics that did not explicitly state DP 1.2 support. I also ended up with a Lenovo branded one, but I think the vital thing is to check that it claims 1.2 support. Of course for the Surface the sensible thing would be for Microsoft to offer one that fitted into the port correctly - see my chat with a Microsoft Replicant below...
hbhcaged.png