What's new

SP3 Dock - payment to MS is pending on CC

Zog1971

Mine's on truck for delivery..........I wants it, now!!!! Ahhhhhh!!! Coincidentally, I have been out sick yesterday and today so it's delivery will be medicinal. :)

RottenMutt

can someone confirm the bus connection for the Ethernet controller, are there additional usb3/2 chips in the dock?

Chad Carr, can you check the bus connections?

bluegrass

Just picked my dock up from the MS store. I haven't loaded it up yet with a couple USB 3 drives but here are a couple before & after shots.
Without: Without dock.jpg

With: With dock.jpg

This is just setup at work to test it. I'm going to take it home and leave it at home. I'm not dedicated enough to buy a second dock to use my personal Surface at work.

RottenMutt

download AIDA64, look under devices/physical devices, and what is under pci devices when docked? do you see the Gb eithernet controller?
perhaps post a screen shot docked and undocked.

RottenMutt

thank you for the text files.
they teased us, all devices are off the USB controller!
depressing....
hopes for thunderbolt or something similar on surface 4...
we put our hand out and got a pile of crud.

Zog1971

I got it!! Hooray! So easy to set up. I read someone posting about having 50 updates. They must have had past updates pending because when I plugged it in and went to my updates, I only had to instal 1 and it took seconds. Also, absolutely no heating issues. My update was so quick it never spawed the fan at all. It never went on during the install of any of the device drivers either--Nice (since I HAVE had some fan issues that are hopefully resolved). So easy to to get my printer, external dvd (which could not be powered by the SP3's own USB port), wireless keyboard and mouse, external speakers, external monitor, xbox controller, and iphone cable all connected--Plus! I still have an available USB3 on the SP3 itself. So easy to put it in and out of the dock. I was curious how it would transition from being powered on and then getting removed from the dock/likewise being powered on and then put into the dock. It works flawlessly. My attached Stickerboy skin does not interfere with docking in any way. I'm not going to use it with the Type Cover attached, but could if I wanted to. Clears up a horrible mess of cables and makes the desk look so much nicer. The whole look of the dock with and without the SP3 attached is pretty stealth. I will try and post pictures at some point of my desktop rig and my mobile rig of the SP3. This is going to make the daily transition from home desktop to school laptop/tablet SO. MUCH. BETTER!!! Very pleased indeed. :)

Zog1971

thank you for the text files.
they teased us, all devices are off the USB controller!
depressing....
hopes for thunderbolt or something similar on surface 4...
we put our hand out and got a pile of crud.
I feel stupid for asking, but why is this important? It has perfectly accommodated everything I'm hooking into it, but felling you may be wanting to hook up stuff that I don't use. Just curious for my own knowledge so if it does come on the Surface 4 I'll know why it's better. :)