What's new

SP3 doesn't go into standby when cover closed

spinachpie

I've noticed this over the past month or so. I close my surface type cover and then I return an hour later and I can hear it running. I then open the cover and the screensaver is active instead of standby.

Is there a setting I am using incorrectly or is this happening to anyone else?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done a Sleep Study to see what is preventing the device from entering Connected Standby?

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

What's a Sleep Study?

I do pretty much leave everything open when closing the cover - when I say everything, that's Chrome and File Explorer, with a MUI app or two running in the background thrown in (maybe)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What's a Sleep Study?

I do pretty much leave everything open when closing the cover - when I say everything, that's Chrome and File Explorer, with a MUI app or two running in the background thrown in (maybe)
The Sleep Study is a troubleshooting report we can run to see what is stopping the machine form entering Connected Standby, there are many threads on how to run it and the other two, Battery Report and Energy Report.

But you gave me the key info and this post, it is (with about 99% certainty) Chrome that is keeping your machine awake.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Having Chrome installed will have a Chrome Process running even when the application is closed unless the process is killed, check your task manager for the process...

have you checked that its set to sleep when "lid closed" in control panel > power options > choose what closing the lid does (on the left)