What's new

SP3 Duct 2.0 (Stops thermal throttling!)

lysol

That should work fine. I just don't trust myself to strip those tiny fan wires.

Show us some pics when you're done!

just a quick update, everything came in today. Its all assembled and works great. I just did a Youtube "1080p 60fps" video test and it didn't skip at all. ill update after i've run a few tests but so far, i don't see any throttling.

Edit - Ill get pics up this weekend.

Last edited:

Mackey780

Hi,

I have a 3D printer and was looking to put it to use and make a few changes to the design. Could you please provide the 3D printing file that you used??

Thank you so much your a great help!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

kurodatsubasa

image.jpeg
Updated OP with new link to mouser.

Thanks for the link and this project! Now I have my own SP3 Duct too!

P.S. I did tape the exposed wires later.

Burnstone777

semi old thread
I have a surface pro 3 and have recently been trying to play world of warplanes and its been miserable. found this here and ordered the fan and sp3 duct.
duct just came in from shapeways. looks perfect.
just waiting on the fan from CMyHub which did not give me a tracking number. I fear it could be a while.

question: does the surface still get hot with this fan on or does it actually keep it cool?

OP
Cothek

Cothek

semi old thread
I have a surface pro 3 and have recently been trying to play world of warplanes and its been miserable. found this here and ordered the fan and sp3 duct.
duct just came in from shapeways. looks perfect.
just waiting on the fan from CMyHub which did not give me a tracking number. I fear it could be a while.

question: does the surface still get hot with this fan on or does it actually keep it cool?
It won't be as hot as before but yes it still gets hot.

Also, I'll try to see if I can find some other places to order the fan..

Burnstone777

Wow, Lightning fast replies I didn't expect. lol

all the links are in the second post. but there are different options
its very well explained in those first few posts imho

Burnstone777

all set up and done!
working nicely and quieter than I predicted/assumed.
stripping the wires was a little dicey but I think I did a decent job. Not 100% in that area and I wonder if that lessens the power/ability of the fan if I lost a few of the little wires in the stripping.
other than that I have yet to try it while running my surface hard.
ill let you know how it goes!

P.S. the fan arrived from china in about two weeks. Not too bad. but it did come used which I did not know when I bought it. it was dirty and I cleaned it good as new

Burnstone777

game runs well. computer still gets hot. wondering if any thought was put into where exactly the placement of the fan should be to get optimal airflow into the computer?

MacrosTheBlack

Is the assumption that the Surface Pro 3 (i7 model) is still a throttling mess or can it handle games like Civ 5, Starcraft 2, & various older titles on gog.com without the need of an external fan?