What's new

SP3 Duct 2.0 (Stops thermal throttling!)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fan is actually blowing air into the internal fan intake, meaning its working with the internal fan and not against it. I've found that if I put the SP3 Duct 2.0 on the internal fan never even turns on. The internal fan is brushless ball bearing so it spinning while off will not harm it.

Thanks for the question and interest.
How can you determine if the internal fan is on or off? I haven't found any indicators that show that but I'm interested in knowing about it.

Saul

The fan is actually blowing air into the internal fan intake, meaning its working with the internal fan and not against it.

I did say that, see my post, but if they're working at the same time, I doubt very much it'd be good for the internal fan, "longer-term".

I've found that if I put the SP3 Duct 2.0 on the internal fan never even turns on. The internal fan is brushless ball bearing so it spinning while off will not harm it.

Yes that's a good point, if it's cooling things sufficiently, then the internal fan needn't ever come on whilst the duct's being used.
Hence concerns about potential (longer-term) damage to the internal fan, is moot...

Thanks for the question and interest.

Thank you for getting back to me in such an expedient manner!

Have you also experimented with an exhaust type config? i.e. sucking hot-air out using a ducting + fan(s) config. around the hot-air vents.
Or maybe a simultaneous in/out active cooling config. (using ducting + fans), would be better from an internal airflow PoV.

How can you determine if the internal fan is on or off? I haven't found any indicators that show that but I'm interested in knowing about it.

Very good point, too....

Last edited:
OP
Cothek

Cothek

You are correct and I shouldn't have said that it doesn't come on at all because I don't know other than what I can hear. The internal fan is pretty loud when on and the original SP3 Duct, which was much quieter than the internal fan, prevented it from ramping up to a level I could hear. My assumption here is that the internal fan only runs when needed and because of the tight space and the grating in the vent slot I think you'll always hear when the internal fan is on. And because the new duct cools the SP3 even better I assumed the fan was not engaging.

As a side note I design computer cases for a living and looking at the SP3 fan config equals noisy.

Have you also experimented with an exhaust type config? i.e. sucking hot-air out using a ducting + fan(s) config. around the hot-air vents.
Or maybe a simultaneous in/out active cooling config. (using ducting + fans), would be better from an internal airflow PoV.
I have tried sucking air out but flowrate is much lower over distance vs blowing. I haven't tried in and out simultaneously but I wanted to keep the duct somewhat small.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are correct and I shouldn't have said that it doesn't come on at all because I don't know other than what I can hear. The internal fan is pretty loud when on and the original SP3 Duct, which was much quieter than the internal fan, prevented it from ramping up to a level I could hear. My assumption here is that the internal fan only runs when needed and because of the tight space and the grating in the vent slot I think you'll always hear when the internal fan is on. And because the new duct cools the SP3 even better I assumed the fan was not engaging.

As a side note I design computer cases for a living and looking at the SP3 fan config equals noisy.

I have tried sucking air out but flowrate is much lower over distance vs blowing. I haven't tried in and out simultaneously but I wanted to keep the duct somewhat small.
K, I do agree that the additional cooling might prevent the internal fan running. AFAICT the internal fan blows like a centenarian with emphysema as I tried detecting air flow with smoke and it was evident I would need an isolation chamber to realize any noticeable flow. :)

OP
Cothek

Cothek

K, I do agree that the additional cooling might prevent the internal fan running. AFAICT the internal fan blows like a centenarian with emphysema as I tried detecting air flow with smoke and it was evident I would need an isolation chamber to realize any noticeable flow. :)
I've noticed the same however when the internal fan is on there is a very audible wooshing sound that increases with speed.

SecretSauce

Cothek,

Thank you for putting this together, I am getting my SP3 soon and hope to be able to keep up with some trade / exploration in Elite Dangerous while on the road and this looks like it will help make that happen!

You showed ED in your quick video there getting around 3ofps, do you have the i7 or i5 model? Did you have to do any extensive tweaks to get that fps?

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Cothek,

Thank you for putting this together, I am getting my SP3 soon and hope to be able to keep up with some trade / exploration in Elite Dangerous while on the road and this looks like it will help make that happen!

You showed ED in your quick video there getting around 3ofps, do you have the i7 or i5 model? Did you have to do any extensive tweaks to get that fps?
Hey SecretSauce, thanks for posting! The fan really does make a big difference.
As far as my setup, I just set ED to the lowest setting except draw distance which was around mid-way or a little less. Also, i set screen res to something around 1152*864 or so. Most of the time FPS is well above 30 but only in and around stations with all the lighting does it really slow. That and in SC near planets...but that is somewhat a frontier problem.

monkeymii

Hi I've went ahead and bought all the components needed. (Had to buy a crappy version of the connector because I'm in the UK)
But I was wondering if you could take a few more photos of the setup when it's on the device. Including all the wire connections, I'm more for understanding from pictures then text. Thanks! Can't wait to try it out :)

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Hi I've went ahead and bought all the components needed. (Had to buy a crappy version of the connector because I'm in the UK)
But I was wondering if you could take a few more photos of the setup when it's on the device. Including all the wire connections, I'm more for understanding from pictures then text. Thanks! Can't wait to try it out :)
That's awesome! Let us know how it goes.

As for pics, was there anything in particular you wanted to see?

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Mostly just wanted to see the setup of the back and sides, full wire connections etc.
Thanks again. :)
0204150927.jpg 0204150927a.jpg 0204150927b.jpg 0204150928.jpg 0204150928a.jpg 0518151009.jpg 0518151013.jpg 0518151013a.jpg
Hopefully you see what you need ;)
Any other questions, just ask.