What's new

SP3 Duct 2.0 (Stops thermal throttling!)

malberttoo

Just get this and be done with the fan ramping up? I don't see what all that ugliness does and this fan is cheap

http://amzn.to/1HdqaSn

Read through the first thread, and you'll see the questions about the arctic fan has been answered. Also, you might get an idea of how much time the OP has sunk into this, so have some manners and don't be insulting.

Johnny365

Just throwing it out there and it wasn't meant to be insulting, only you thinking it was. If everyone read every other thread about an issue, no one would be asking questions at all because supposedly it was answered in a 7 page topic from before.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Just get this and be done with the fan ramping up? I don't see what all that ugliness does and this fan is cheap

http://amzn.to/1HdqaSn
This is a good alternative for sure, and I actually suggest buying one if price is a problem in my previous duct thread. That arctic breeze fan does not stop thermal throttling which I've shown mine does (at least at room temp :)).

Also, beauty is very subjective and I'd rather have this duct than that ugly fan ;)

bvone21

Order(s) finally placed. Went with the duct without the USB hub. Didn't realize there was a long lead time from Shapeways, seems odd.

(While the order is still pending, you haven't made any recent tweaks have you? I noticed the last update on the model was Feb '15, just checking that this is still the latest/greatest).

Thanks!

Compusmurf

The Arctic fan sorta works, doesn't help much under full load, doesn't stay positioned well, and I spend more time pointing it at myself at work instead of at the sp3. Sure feels good, don't regret buying it, but it only delays thermal throttling but not stops it.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Is this a slightly cleaner option? It's possibly way too big...but at this point I don't think aesthetics are a concern.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120x25mm-Exhaust-Blower-Connector/dp/B005AKCNBY
Nice find! You're right about it being big, it's an inch thick! Don't forget that you'll have to figure out a way to mount it to the SP3 as well.

Order(s) finally placed. Went with the duct without the USB hub. Didn't realize there was a long lead time from Shapeways, seems odd.

(While the order is still pending, you haven't made any recent tweaks have you? I noticed the last update on the model was Feb '15, just checking that this is still the latest/greatest).

Thanks!
No changes, you're good to go!

I'm somewhat interested in this. What about during the summer months, how does this keep up?
That really depends on the ambient temp wherever you're at. It doesn't matter which computer you have, ambient temp will always play a major roll in throttling. All that said, the duct will get more air moving over your cpu and as long as it's less than 90C out that will aid in cooling ;)

bvone21

Just received mine from Shapeways, I haven't yet made the connection to the fan to actually try it in practice. But I can comment that Cothek did a very nice job with the design. The fan fits into the case snugly, and the case fits onto the Surface easily and snugly, the fan and case is overall pretty thin and light. It will be easy to throw in the bag for travel (I got one without the usb dock).

Anyways, if you were on the fence...go for it. He did a good job with it.

ChrisBodger

Hi,

Recently bought a SP3Pro and I'm thinking about getting this now. But I do have one question regarding the fan. Does it have to be the one specified or can i get another with similar dimensions. Coincidentally, what are the dimensions of the cutout?