What's new

SP3 Duct 2.0 (Stops thermal throttling!)

malberttoo

Hi,

Recently bought a SP3Pro and I'm thinking about getting this now. But I do have one question regarding the fan. Does it have to be the one specified or can i get another with similar dimensions. Coincidentally, what are the dimensions of the cutout?

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!

I've tagged @Cothek so it'll hopefully make his ears burn....

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Hi,

Recently bought a SP3Pro and I'm thinking about getting this now. But I do have one question regarding the fan. Does it have to be the one specified or can i get another with similar dimensions. Coincidentally, what are the dimensions of the cutout?
I will get the dimensions for you later when I can get the model up but I would not recommend another fan. I designed the duct to clamp onto that exact fan. There is a notch inside the duct that engages with the fan that won't work with others unless they match exactly. But you are free to do whatever you want :)

Also thanks @malberttoo for the heads up!

kurodatsubasa

Hey,

I am interested in getting this custom fan, but there is one thing that I don't understand.
Sorry if it seems so obvious to other people, but I do not understand how is this part connected on the photo. Could you please explain to me how did you do it? Thanks in advance!

0518151009-jpg.6134.jpg

OP
Cothek

Cothek

The part you have circled is that fan connector and plugs directly to the fan. It is listed in the OP and needs to be soldered to the usb cable.

Compusmurf

You should make like 5 at a time complete, and sell them. I am busy and would buy one fully assembled and ready to go.

Markbc01

What a creative Idea!

This worked great! I taped the wires (cut the fan connector off) and had no problem -thank you so much.

The Surface Pro 3 I7 256 runs a lot cooler. Maybe 10c-15c cooler (50-54c) than when I used the external USB fan , (60-69c).
The fan is noisier than the USB plug in fan, but not obnoxious or too loud. . .

I have used coretemp to measure SP3 I7 temperatures and also CPU speed since I purchased the machine several months ago (Upgraded from I5). I have not notice much change in the CPU speed --perhaps it is operating a bit longer at 2.9 Mhz, but maybe I am imagining a performance gain.

I don't run any games --just a lot of apps, and sometimes a CPU-intensive activity like full scan, while working other things. Several statistics, MS office and web pages all open at the same time. . . .

Thank you again!

OP
Cothek

Cothek

What a creative Idea!

This worked great! I taped the wires (cut the fan connector off) and had no problem -thank you so much.

The Surface Pro 3 I7 256 runs a lot cooler. Maybe 10c-15c cooler (50-54c) than when I used the external USB fan , (60-69c).
The fan is noisier than the USB plug in fan, but not obnoxious or too loud. . .

I have used coretemp to measure SP3 I7 temperatures and also CPU speed since I purchased the machine several months ago (Upgraded from I5). I have not notice much change in the CPU speed --perhaps it is operating a bit longer at 2.9 Mhz, but maybe I am imagining a performance gain.

I don't run any games --just a lot of apps, and sometimes a CPU-intensive activity like full scan, while working other things. Several statistics, MS office and web pages all open at the same time. . . .

Thank you again!
Thanks for the feedback Markbc01! Glad it is working so well for you!

If you watch with XTU you can see if/why the CPU is throttling, whether it be from thermal, power or external reasons.

Let me/us know if you have any other questions/comments.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

1. Thanks for letting me know. I updated the OP with new links. The first amazon (a little more pricey but has prime) and the second I haven't bought from them but they are much cheaper than amazon and they say "free shipping". They are based out of China, so not sure if it'll really be free but they should ship anywhere.

2. From the shapeways website. I would guess 2-3 weeks.