What's new

SP3 DVD Redux

Mark Wright

I've looked through the forums about SP3 owners trying to connect external DVD readers / writers and wasn't entirely clear where this came out. As near as I can tell I'm facing a power issue. (I can play downloaded DVD files using VLC.) Based on what I've read I believe my options are:

1) Use a Y USB connector that will let me connect my player to a separate power source. (I've already tried a USB hub with its own power source and that didn't work; I'm not sure why that wouldn't whereas a Y cable would?)
2) Get a DVD reader with a second USB cable and power the second cable through the same USB hub or the SP3 power cable.
3) Get a DVD reader with it's own power source. (I haven't seen any that are really portable so this seems rather undesirable.)

Is this right and is one preferable to the other? And does anybody have suggestions about DVD players? Right now I've got a cheapo LG.

Thanks in advance. And P.S. please keep responses to how to connect a player and not alternatives to players--for better or worse I'm receiving DVDs and need to be able to read them.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use a LG DVD Writer with a "Y" Cable, I plug the power end into the USB on the Power Brick (using a heavy duty USB Extension) and the other into the SP3, works well for my purposes.

silkrooster

I just purchased a Samsung SE-208 DVD drive/writer. It can connect if it does not autorun. But, accessing data is another matter. I found the Amazon power USB hub able to power the drive sufficiently.
It really puts a damper in my plans on using the external drive for watching movies while traveling.
I guess I will have to find a Y cable and car adapter. Now if only Microsoft would create a 12v auto cable. I have seen some 3rd party cables, but I really worry about powering my surface with an unknown (by me) companies cable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which Powered Hub did you use that didn't work. I have not heard of a Powered Hub that wont power devices, it might be defective.
A Powered Hub (that worked) would give you more capabilities.
The USB Y cable is probably the cheapest and most flexible (pun intended) solution mated with the SP3.
I have an older Portable Buffalo DVD drive that has it own optional power supply. They DO exist.
Going with ALL USB power though you could use a USB Battery Pack as well.

kundas1

I just purchased a Samsung SE-208 DVD drive/writer. It can connect if it does not autorun. But, accessing data is another matter. I found the Amazon power USB hub able to power the drive sufficiently.
It really puts a damper in my plans on using the external drive for watching movies while traveling.
I guess I will have to find a Y cable and car adapter. Now if only Microsoft would create a 12v auto cable. I have seen some 3rd party cables, but I really worry about powering my surface with an unknown (by me) companies cable.

I don't understand, but why carry ANOTHER device to play your movies while traveling and just put all your movies on the Micro SD card? I think carrying a dvd player and carrying all your DVD's kind of negates the potability of having a tablet (SP3) there is tons of free software that converts all your dvd's to MP4 or plenty of places to get MP4 movies... even my father in law has dropped carrying his portable dvd player in favor of carring a tablet and loading all his music/movies/ tv shows on to his micro SD card and watching everything on that... and he's old school LOL

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand, but why carry ANOTHER device to play your movies while traveling and just put all your movies on the Micro SD card? I think carrying a dvd player and carrying all your DVD's kind of negates the potability of having a tablet (SP3) there is tons of free software that converts all your dvd's to MP4 or plenty of places to get MP4 movies... even my father in law has dropped carrying his portable dvd player in favor of carring a tablet and loading all his music/movies/ tv shows on to his micro SD card and watching everything on that... and he's old school LOL
-1 For failing to follow the OPs instructions... no alternatives to DVDs :rolleyes: :D

kundas1

-1 for not questioning or mentioning a better way of viewing movies o_O the OP is not FORCED to watch DVD's especially in this day and age :rolleyes:

silkrooster

Nice comparison, it looks like you got the Samsung to play ok. I'm trying to figure out why the usb on the surface doesn't provide as much output as a desktop does.
I tried to purchase the media center but got an error.
As for the person that wanted to know why I use DVD disks instead of putting them on a flash drive, is in the United States, it is illegal to do so. Even owning ripping software is or was illegal. I have not kept up so it's possible some laws changed for owning ripping software.
I certainly don't plan on buying same movie more than once from a downloadable site. When I already have it on DVD.

silkrooster

Which Powered Hub did you use that didn't work. I have not heard of a Powered Hub that wont power devices, it might be defective.
A Powered Hub (that worked) would give you more capabilities.
The USB Y cable is probably the cheapest and most flexible (pun intended) solution mated with the SP3.
I have an older Portable Buffalo DVD drive that has it own optional power supply. They DO exist.
Going with ALL USB power though you could use a USB Battery Pack as well.
That is why I mentioned the Amazon usb hub, as it does work. The hub the op had may have had a light transformer.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to figure out why the usb on the surface doesn't provide as much output as a desktop does.
Battery Life. Powering high powered USB devices would kill your battery in no time.

Wah, I plugged in my (battery sucking) DVD/BluRay player and only got xxx battery life. The wailing would be unmerciful regardless of how irrational it is.