What's new

SP3 DVD Redux

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Xbox Video allows you to download the movies you purchase or rent.... their prices are comparable to retail DVDs.

silkrooster

Yeah, Grumpy is correct. In the US you can not legally rip a movie. Not all movies have digital copy with it either. But more are coming all the time. Some require you to access the digital copy via the web.

I have not tried xbox video, I have looked at the site thought. Once I purchased from apple store. But that was a long time ago.
Renting movies is a good idea as long as time does not run out before seeing the video.
If that is the case, you could rent 3 or 4 movies for a long journey. Otherwise it would be a waste of money.
If the movie is good enough, I probably would not mind renting the movie even though I owned the dvd, but for the remaining movies renting is really a waste of money.
I recently started purchasing a few movies via Amazon prime. But I have not tried downloading any yet. It states you can download 4 times, but in the fine print the download is time limited, from what I can understand. But the fine print is for all movies and does not separate the purchased and rented movies from the free movies. So I can easily be misunstanding it.

silkrooster

You can get an external battery, there are some that others have recomended for the SP3. Using a powered dvd player or a dvd player with a usb y cable, you can plug it into the external battery, as most come with a usb charing port as well. This would keep you completely portable, like if you are watching on a plane.
Yeah, I probably will end up doing something like that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Grumpy is correct. In the US you can not legally rip a movie. Not all movies have digital copy with it either. But more are coming all the time. Some require you to access the digital copy via the web.

I have not tried xbox video, I have looked at the site thought. Once I purchased from apple store. But that was a long time ago.
Renting movies is a good idea as long as time does not run out before seeing the video.
If that is the case, you could rent 3 or 4 movies for a long journey. Otherwise it would be a waste of money.
If the movie is good enough, I probably would not mind renting the movie even though I owned the dvd, but for the remaining movies renting is really a waste of money.
I recently started purchasing a few movies via Amazon prime. But I have not tried downloading any yet. It states you can download 4 times, but in the fine print the download is time limited, from what I can understand. But the fine print is for all movies and does not separate the purchased and rented movies from the free movies. So I can easily be misunstanding it.
When you rent from Xbox Video, you have 30 days to watch them IIRC but once started, 48 hours to complete...

grumpy

While I understand the illegalities, I find things easier and more enjoyable to just ignore such nonsense. The truth is, there is nothing wrong with ripping your own movies for private use, and you will not get in trouble for doing so. Personally, I prefer to eliminate the middleman and get my media "pre ripped". Hell, even if I am in the mood for something from my own DVD library, I find it more convenient to just download a copy (rather than rip it myself) and add it to my media server.

As for the various service that provide digital content, I just see no reason to purchase media that dictates how, where and when I can view it.

It really doesn't make much sense to travel with a portable DVD player, external battery, and a collection of DVDs when devices such as the Surface eliminate the need for such items. No to mention the inconvenience of using such as setup. Try juggling the Surface, DVD player, external battery and DVDs on a subway...

Save your money and don't support an industry that seeks to criminalize reasonable actions.

silkrooster

While I understand the illegalities, I find things easier and more enjoyable to just ignore such nonsense. The truth is, there is nothing wrong with ripping your own movies for private use, and you will not get in trouble for doing so. Personally, I prefer to eliminate the middleman and get my media "pre ripped". Hell, even if I am in the mood for something from my own DVD library, I find it more convenient to just download a copy (rather than rip it myself) and add it to my media server.

As for the various service that provide digital content, I just see no reason to purchase media that dictates how, where and when I can view it.

It really doesn't make much sense to travel with a portable DVD player, external battery, and a collection of DVDs when devices such as the Surface eliminate the need for such items. No to mention the inconvenience of using such as setup. Try juggling the Surface, DVD player, external battery and DVDs on a subway...

Save your money and don't support an industry that seeks to criminalize reasonable actions.
While, I do agree with you. All it takes is one disgruntled friend or family member to see the other side of the bars and major dent in your wallet.
BTW, announcing that you do so on a public site is good way for trouble to follow. Most public forums are searchable. Just an FYI.

grumpy

While, I do agree with you. All it takes is one disgruntled friend or family member to see the other side of the bars and major dent in your wallet.
Holy paranoia Batman! You are more likely to see the other side of the bars as a result of going a few miles over the speed limit in the presence of a disgruntled friend or family member. Seriously, you will never be fined much less imprisoned for making personal copies of movies that you own. Never gonna happen... Of course, if you enjoy paying multiple times for the same content, that is your prerogative.
BTW, announcing that you do so on a public site is good way for trouble to follow. Most public forums are searchable. Just an FYI.
Well, if you noticed, the only thing I really admitted to was downloading copies of movies that I already own - which is a non-issue. Furthermore, in my country, my personal liability is limited to a maximum of $5,000 for all non-commercial infringement claims (and actual awards are likely too be far less). So, I'm not worried...

Hmmm... What was that noise.. Oh NOOdfagjklvjb

silkrooster

Apparently our laws are more strict. There is no limit. It is well over 100,000 US dollars plus jail time.
Anyway it is pointless to argue about it. I have no need to say any more. Bye.